Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seeking photo of Cameron Highlanders 1914?

Sophmaid

Hi all 

First time posting - Seeking  a photo or group photo of Cameron highlanders 1914 1/7th battalion or the scottish rifles 1918 

Trying to find a possible relative that is a total mystery to my family. His name was William Robertson born 1895 inverness.

Cameron highlanders regimental no. 15723 

Scottish rifles - cameronians no.  34023

if anyone has any photos of these or information that would be amazing. 

Regards Sophie

Edited by Sophmaid
incorrect information

• Sophmaid changed the title to Seeking photo of Cameron Highlanders 1914?

There wouldn't be a 1/7th Camerons: that would be a Territorial Force designation for a TF battalion duplicated on the outbreak of war. There was only one Cameron TB battalion (the 4th). The 7th was a New Army Battalion, and looking at the battalion history, 15723 would fit with their numbering system (although prefixed 'S/').

That sounds about right - still getting my head around the structure.  it mentions in the papers he (my ancestor William Robertson) could of been 3rd Battalion when he enlisted in 1914 with his regimental number 15723 

then jump ahead to 1917/18/19 - listed in the Lothian regiment Scots Rifles Cameronians 1/7bn  3rd battalion ( unsure what 3/24 is) 

regimental number with the one listed above ..  34023 

honestly seeking any photo from that era with those regiments if possible - As i don't have any photos of him.  Have been looking on Ebay etc to find a photo of his battalion but no success other wise. any help would be deeply appreciated. 

Edited by Sophmaid
corrections

Might be worth (if you haven't already tried them) an approach to the Queen's Own Highlanders' museum at Fort George, just in case. Unlikely they'll have a photo of him, but there might be Battalion/Company or even Platoon photos. You never know. The 7th Battalion History is a nice little book, but no Nominal Rolls or photos (other than COs), and no Index.

Sophmaid - regarding your similar post (and GWF) responses.  Your ancestors Medal Index Cards x 2 indicate he was Cameronians/Royal Scots - and not Cameron Highlanders......?

7 minutes ago, Sophmaid said:

It says in his enlistment papers when he enlisted in 1914/15  in the top queens own cameron Highlanders. Hence  I get a bit confused. 🤦‍♀️

....... not having seen that I can't disagree  with it then :thumbsup:

Edited by TullochArd

But 1/7 Cameronians would make sense.

• 1 year later...

Hi Sophmaid,

Appreciate this is a very historical post, almost 2 years ago.  However, having recently acquired some of my grandpa's papers, I came across this photo.  His name was Alexander Eaglesham Milne, regimental number S13651, 7th Battalion Queens Own Cameron Highlanders.  I guess this photo was taken at Aldershot around the date of the postcard, 4/1/15.  Pretty sure my Grandpa is 2nd from the right, back row.  Their 2 numbers are only a few hundred apart, I think my grandpa signed up during a recruiting drive in Glasgow

image.png.860ce0276a24833696b9f94aeaccbbde.png

image.jpeg.b76b3746637fa513ce046be79601b486.jpeg

Also,

I understand this was their training locations and dates in England before heading for France;

November 1914 Aldershot(Salamanca Barracks)
January 1915 Liphook
February 1915 Cirencester
April 1915 Chisledon
May 1915 Parkhouse, Tidworth

I visited the site of Park House Camp last Monday, which prompted me to do a little research about the British units based there during the War. (It was a pre-war camping site, with huts being built on it after the outbreak of war. It was later an Australian base, with some men there  recovering from VD being toughened up for a return to active service.)

The 7th Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders made "a long dusty march" of some twenty-three miles there from Chisledon on April 6, 1915.

Robert Burns, Once a Cameron Highlander (Woodfield Publishing, Bognor Regis 2000), ch 5, pp37-44, describes life on "Salisbury Plain" in 1915– at Chisledon and Park House; the main reference of interest is his eating iron rations without permission.

I have several postcards showing the huts c1915. The land remains in MoD ownership though it was returned to farmland around the 1970s. The only signs today are the concrete foundations of a very small shower hut and a few stones of the "station" that pumped water from a reservoir.

In this locality the Salisbury Plain training area boundary followed the Hampshire-Wiltshire boundary except to diverge to include the Park House site, which is actually in Hampshire. Some accounts refer to units based "at Cholderton" - actually the parish, though in September 1914 Cholderton House was the headquarters of the General Officer Commanding the 13th (Western) Division, and for at least part of the war continued to be used by other generals commanding divisions based in the area.