Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tracing another family member

eviltaxman

I've done virtually all I can with the Blatchford & Coole connections (see signature).

Now I'm on to my paternal G-Grandfather. One big problem - we don't know a thing about his service.

All we have is his name!!!!! William Arthur TURNER. I know he survived the war - died in 1934 - but on checking the online MICs there is 1 William Arthur and 1 with an extra middle name. Assuming the prior is my man (probably wishful thinking from the outset), I've downloaded his MIC. What a surprise - it's not a MIC but a Military Medal "slip". I obtained his serial number and checked again - without the "Arthur" aspect.

One hit which shows he was a Gunner in the RFA, promoted to Sgt. The Sgt entry has the usual little star shaped squiggle indicating something else - the MM. The MM slip shows RFA D/173rd Bgd. I've checked the LLT and they were attached to the 36th (Ulster) Division.

The details I've found from the MIC & slip are --- Serial # L/35266 entered France 27/11/15, entitled to 15 Star trio.

I've checked the LG for an entry, but nothing comes up. The date showing on the "slip" isn't a date, just a number - 67.

Any ideas what to do next - assuming this is my man. If it ain't, I've got 42 other MICs to D/L and check.

William Arthur TURNER, born Bristol approx 1873, married to Rhoda Kathleen Mary VAUGHAN - married 17 January 1901. No trace of him on the 1901 census - at least not as William Arthur. Given his age at this time could he have been in South Africa?!?!!?

Anyone?!?!?! :(

Les.

Hi Les,

I presume you have this from 1881 census.

Aaron TURNER Head M Male 37 Bristol, Gloucester, England Clerk At Draper

Charlotte TURNER Wife M Female 33 Lawrenny Ferry, Pembroke, Wales

William A. TURNER Son U Male 8 Bristol, Gloucester, England Scholar

Eleanor B. TURNER Daur U Female 6 Bristol, Gloucester, England Scholar

Charles A.J. TURNER Son U Male 1 Bristol, Gloucester, England

Try this chappie for 1901:-

William Turner 27 Bristol Bristol Bristol Engineers Brass Founder

Roop

Roop,

One of these day I'm going to have to buy you a beer!

I was looking at my copy of the 1881 census for Bristol when my PC died. As yet I've been unable to reload it into my new toy.

I think the 1901 entry is him, but any names of family members have been extremely hard to come by - and this is direct family too.

The 1881 info looks like right family but overall the parents are wrong and so are his brothers & sisters, but who knows.......

Right then, where's the nearest pub?

Cheers,

Les.

Les,

Given the birth criteria you provided , there are only two William A Turners in the 1881 Census.

The second is found living at castleford , Yorks in 1881 so precluded him from my response.

Roop

The Turner family (mine that is) have lived in Bristol for over 150 years... probably nearer 200 years. You might find the odd one (and some of us are odd :P ) that was born in Bath or in nearby towns.

Les

(who's still looking for his 1881 discs)

I've checked the LG for an entry, but nothing comes up. The date showing on the "slip" isn't a date, just a number - 67.

LG 67 = 20 August 1919

Mines a pint of Spitfire!

Les

1891 census has one William A Turner, aged 18, living at 14 Louisa Street in Bath. He’s shown to be a Cloth Trimmer and is the son of Elizabeth Turner, a 46 year old widow. He has brothers Harry and Sydney and a sister whose name I can’t read but looks like “Haanee”.

Could this be your man?

Incidentally, you don’t need the discs for the 1881. You can get it at

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/fra...arch_census.asp

SN

Hi

Why not try the 1891 census, not availble online but can be viewed at Bristol Record Office, Bristol Central Library or Family Records Centre London. Might provide an interim picture of the family between 1881 & 1901.

Hilary

LES

I have looked up W.A.TURNER in the Bristol Corporation Roll of Honour of employees Award Winners. NO joy I am afraid.

Bristol Roll of Honour Decorations for War Service.NO joy I am afraid.This list also contains,I think,either those who served,or,more likely list of those who fell.I do not have a copy of this section but the original,type written list is held in the reference section of Bristol Central Library.

Sovenir and Roll of Honour of those awarded military decorations in ww1.Reception at the Colston Hall 15/02/1919.No joy I am afraid.

Sorry they are all negative .I was not going to post this but I then thought that even negative evidence is posative.If you see what I mean.

CHEERS.

JOHN.

ps. We must meet for a nogin and a natter.LETS DO IT.

Ther's a 13 years old William A Turner in Bristol in 1891

Thomas, Samuel 43 Exmouth, Devon Or Devonshire Head Clifton Goucestershire

Turner, Eveline B 14 Starcross, Devon Or Devonshire Daughter Clifton Gloucestershire

Turner, Mark E 43 Barnstaple, Devon Or Devonshire Head Clifton Gloucestershire

Turner, Phillipa M 33 Hemyock, Devon Or Devonshire Wife Clifton Gloucestershire

Turner, William A 13 Bristol, Gloucestershire Son Clifton Gloucestershire

Sue

LG 67 = 20 August 1919

Hi

Sorry to jump in on your thread Les.

I asked a similar question a short while ago as to the date of London Gazette No 63. I would be most grateful for any replies. I know it must be post March 1918 and pre 1920. So if you are still out there ( p a p m p t ) I would love to know the date.

Cheers

Steve

Thanks to all for their input. To be honest this is info I should have sussed myself. I've been suffering from a bad cold for the last week and things are still blurred!

Stephen (SN) has the right info... why I haven't though of looking at Bath - it's only 10 miles down the road.

The family was made up of ---

father -- Henry Turner b 5/7/1848

mother - Elizabeth (nee Moss) b April 1845

offspring --

Sidney - b approx 1873

William Arthur - b approx 1873

Henery Ernest - b ?

Florence Caroline - b ?

Per Ardua - thanks for the dating on the LG entry. I'm glad someone knows what they're doing :P

John - We will have to meet up soon... I'll be in touch. I lost your e-mail address due to my old PC going belly up & I've treated myself to a new all singing all dancing machine - but no addresses!

Thanks again all,

Les.

Les

As you’ve confirmed that I have the right family, I can fill in a few other blanks.

In 1871, the family lived at 108 Suffolk Street, Birmingham and consisted of Henry Turner, aged 30, his wife Elizabeth Sophia (26), and children Florence Caroline (3) and Harry Ernest (7 months). Both Henry and Elizabeth are shown as being born in Somerset. Also resident with them was Sophia Hayward Moss, aged 12, Elizabeth’s sister.

By 1881, the family had moved to Louisa Street in Bath. By this time, Henry was deceased and Elizabeth also had William, aged 8 and Sydney, aged 7. William is recorded as born in Birmingham and Sydney was born in Bristol, so they must have moved to Bristol between the births of the boys, around 1873/4.

And we’ve already seen that by 1891 they were still at that address. The name that I couldn’t read was obviously Florence.

I have found a entry in the register for the death of a Henry Turner, aged 34, in Avon district in 1875. Volume 6a, Page 28 for the certificate. No telling if this is the same man but he’s the only candidate I could find.

I have copies of all the census images if you would like them. Just PM me your email address and I’ll send them on.

Stephen,

Thanks for the info - this should make life a little easier (hopefully).

Check you inbox - PM sent.

Cheers again,

Les.

Per Ardua....

I've checked the LG for 20 Aug 1919.... nowt. I've tried William Turner, William Arthur Turner etc...... but nothing for this date.

I've even just tried using his serial number, but all I get is a page about shares :unsure:

I've attached a copy of the MM "MIC" for reference.

What am I doing wrong? I have a heck of a job ever finding anything.

Cheers,

Les.

Hi Les,

Are you trying to find him using Gazettes Online? I have never had a successful search with that site yet!

Cheers

Fred

Unfortunately, yes. I don't have access to any other source. The only success I've ever had was looking up my Uncle's MBE from the late 80's.

Les.

Les,

Regarding the 1901 census, do you have any more info about his wife Rhoda.... there are plenty of Rhoda Turners in the same age group - even 2 in Gloucestershire - if you know her age it may be worth a look. I subscribe to Ancestry.com so can do a free 1901 lookup

cheers

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the offer.

All I've got at the moment is................

Rhoda Kathleen Mary Turner (nee Vaughan)

date of birth - n/k - assumed to be around 1875 +/- a couple of years

Father - Thomas Vaughan - born 1845, died 1915

Mother - Sarah Jane Vaughan (nee Palmer) born 1851, died ??

I haven't got a birth or death date for Rhoda. I'm not even sure if she was born in Bristol (classed as Gloucestershire in some cases).

Les.

Les

Turner family in 1901 traced, Vaughan family in 1881 and 1901 traced. All images sent to you by email.

Regards

Steve

Steve (and everyone else!)

Thanks all for your input. I've managed to ascertain who was who and when - and where they were from.... for both the Turners & Vaughans.

My only task is to suss out if William A Turner MM is the same as my G-Grandfather. As I've mentioned in some of my e-mails, my grandfather very rarely spoke of his WW2 service let alone anyone else's...... so at the moment I'm stuffed.

I need to know who this William A Turner MM is and where he was from. But as he was a member of the RFA it makes it that much more difficult - as opposed to being in a local regiment.

Bottom line is - I'm not even sure he served in the war!

Cheers again

Les.