Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

North Staffordshire Regiment records

Gunner 87

Edward John Evans, born 1869, in Tunstall, joined the North Staffordshire Regiment in 1888 and was issued number 1735. Evans served through the Second Boer War and into WW1. His record shows he was reduced in rank from Lance Sergeant to Private in 1912 though I cannot find any trace of his service or number beyond that date. I have searched against Find My Past, National Archives, Ancestry and Forces War Records which have thrown up a number of possibles that remain to be confirmed. 

Can any member advise whether he would have had a new service number or kept the one on this record. many thanks.

ee1.jpg

ee2.jpg

ee3.jpg

Edited by Gunner 87

It appears to me that he was reduced to the rank of private on 2nd February 1902 (not 1912) as a result of a Field General Court Martial on the same date.  The red ink endorsement at the top of the attestation paper "Time ex 3/7/02" suggests that he was discharged on expiry of his current engagement on 3rd July 1902.  Presumably following his court martial he was not given the option of re-engaging for a further term after July 1902.

4 minutes ago, Bordercollie said:

It appears to me that he was reduced to the rank of private on 2nd February 1902 (not 1912) as a result of a Field General Court Martial on the same date.  The red ink endorsement at the top of the attestation paper "Time ex 3/7/02" suggests that he was discharged on expiry of his current engagement on 3rd July 1902.  Presumably following his court martial he was not given the option of re-engaging for a further term after July 1902.

Yes, I stand corrected, I misread the date as 1912 and overlooked the 'Time ex 3/7/02'. So in short, if he fought in WW1 I'm looking for a separate record. That's very useful, thank you for your input.