Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Margaret Rosa Rowles (nee Clark)

stuart rowles

Margaret Rosa Clark was born on Tuesday,  17th August 1886 at No. 43 Park Road North, Acton, Brentford, the daughter of John William and Rosa Clark (née Turner), an ‘Electrical Engineer’ of Acton. 

Her mother, Rosa, died in 1900 at Acton aged 40.
In the 1901 census she is living with her widowed father at 43 Park Row North, Acton.
In the 1911 census she is age 24 and working as a ‘Nurse’ and living at Portugal Street, London.
Prior to the War Margaret was working in Tunbrudge Wells as a ‘School Nurse’ and ‘Health Visitor’.

The following information is taken from her application for medals.
She enrolled as a nurse in August 1914 and was called up on 18th August 1914.
She served in France in 1916 and on a Hospital Ship in 1917 returning to the 4th General Hospital in March 1917 when she was promoted to Sister. She was demobilized on 17th May 1919.

She married Stanley Rowles in 1922 at Brentford. They had no children.
Stanley Rowles served in the Canadian Army during the War. Stanley died in 1966 at Winchester, age 71.

In the ‘1939 Register’ she is living at Streatly Wood Cottage, Bradfield, Berkshire.
She is ‘Living In’ and doing ‘Domestic Duties’.
Her husband, Stanley Rowles is living at 10 Junction Road, Andover, Hampshire.
His occupation is given as ‘Tobacconist / Confectioner.

She died on Friday, 10th October 1980 at 20 Broadview, Selsey, West Sussex, age 94.

CAN ANYONE FIND WHERE SHE WAS BURIED/CREMATED OR AN OBITUARY PLEASE

Hi Stuart,

It appears that Margaret was estranged from her husband. Have you checked her mother's grave at St.Mary,  Acton, Ealing. Parish Register...  Entry no.92 page 12, burial on 22.9.1900.? Rosa died 18.9.1900 probate to husband at 56 Park Rd. North, Acton  on 27.11. 1912!

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

Do you know more about her career in France as a nurse?? 

M.

Firstl, I do have her WW1 service history which was a real treat. It came with her WW1 pair of medals and her nursing medal.

Secondly, I didn't realise that she was estranged from her husband, Stanley, although I should have noticed that they died in different places.

Stanley died in 1966 at Winchester, age 71. I have not been able to find his burial place either.

In the ‘1939 Register’ he is living at 10 Junction Road, Andover, Hampshire. His occupation is given as ‘Tobacconist & Confectionery Dealer’.

I have checked Billion Graves and Find a Grave but with no luck for either of them.

Margaret left a will, which may have included instructions for her burial/cremation. Its available for £ 1.50 here.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=rowles&yearOfDeath=1980&page=2#calendar

Selsey is only 8 miles from Chichester & is in the Chichester District Council area. There is a municipal Cemetery at Chichester & also this would be the nearest crematorium.

https://www.westsussex.gov.uk/births-ceremonies-and-deaths/deaths/cemeteries-and-crematoriums-in-west-sussex/

On 18/12/2020 at 12:10, stuart rowles said:

Firstl, I do have her WW1 service history which was a real treat.

Would it be possible for me to read this? Maybe not in a very near future - school comes first - but it would be interesting to see if she ever had contact or served with one of the women I'm researching... that's those who died... 

M.

Hi Marilyne,

There are quite a lot of sheets with Margaret's service record, but as Alf has just said you can download the lot for free at the NA site.

It appears she was not sent her medals so had to apply and in doing so listed everywhere she had served. Fantastic.

If you cannot download these pages let me know and I will gladly scan them for you.