Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur George Ashby 2nd Suffolk Regt

adrian 1008

Telling the story of Capt Ramsay to the mother in law, and the great support from colleagues here, reminded her of her Grandfather and his service in WW1with the Suffolk Regt, a quick look at his MIC and ......... I m confused

Could colleagues please decipher the information and explain what various comments relate to, I cant as yet find any attestation papers, or any other records, the Mother in Law believes he rejoined the Suffolks for WW2, but was UK based, possibly covering a POW camp in Suffolk.

He was born 29/12/1893 and lived in Clare Suffolk

Medal Index card Arthur G Ashby.png

He had been issued with a 14 Star and Clasp for which he was ineligible and returned, reissued with 15 Star but an initial was wrong and had to be corrected (A)

IV is an issue voucher, CRV is a certified receipt voucher, AFB 103-117 is an application form for medals. The K1 numbers relate to the Medal Rolls. Black Ink is info for 14 Star, Red Ink for 15Star and Blue Ink for BWM and Victory

Medal Rolls for 15 Star

14 Star

BWM and Victory

Ashby15.jpg

Ashby14.jpg

AshbyBWMVIC.jpg

2 hours ago, adrian 1008 said:

I cant as yet find any attestation papers, or any other records,

28 minutes ago, EDWARD1 said:

Ashby15.jpg

MIC shows re-enlistment 13-3-1919

[Later] Medal roll shows serving as 5820358 with the Suffolks.

If serving 1921 then his service record is likely to still be with the MoD and your MiL/you should be able to make an application for a copy - see: https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records [given his DoB & presumed DoD I think pretty straightforward and they are more relaxed than if applying for more recent records]

I think Ancestry have a list of such SR and that others on GWF could probably tell you if he is so listed - sorry I can't [before any application to MoD - as it costs £30.00!!]

:-) M

Thank you, very helpful

So he started off with 2nd suffolks, then 1st Suffolks, and 9th Suffolks

any thoughts as to the number change when he remains within the Regiment. I understand the new number on re enlistment, but he has gone from 8020 >70254. 

3 hours ago, adrian 1008 said:

any thoughts as to the number change when he remains within the Regiment. I understand the new number on re enlistment, but he has gone from 8020 >70254. 

The Army Service number site shows the Regular Army Battalions of the Suffolk Regiment issued service number 8020 at some point between the 27th January 1910, (7936) and the 12th January 1911 (8182).

https://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/2009/07/suffolk-regiment-1st-2nd-battalions.html

This is reflected in the 1911 Census of England & Wales where the 19 year old Private Arthur Ashby, born Clare, Suffolk, is recorded in barracks at Stanhope Lines, Aldershot, with the 2nd Battalion, Suffolk Regiment.

So what I'm seeing is a man who serves throughout the Great War period with service number 8020.

He re-enlists on the 13th March 1919, terminating at the same time his old engagement. New terms of service so new service number - 70254.

Still serving with the Suffolk Regiment at the time of the Army wide renumbering in 1920 he then receives a new unique seven digit number - 5820358 - from the number block allocated to the Suffolk Regiment, (5819001 to 5875000) - see https://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/soldiers/a-soldiers-life-1914-1918/new-british-army-numbers-issued-in-1920/

An informed guess from the number allocated is that as the Regiment shrunk to peace-time strength, he reverted to the 2nd Battalion.

Hope that helps,

Peter

Thank you Peter, very helpful, am i right in thinking the 1911 census was undertaken in April ?

1 hour ago, adrian 1008 said:

i right in thinking the 1911 census was undertaken in April ?

2 April 1911 I believe.

:-) M

To be totally precise the date criteria for inclusion at a particular location on the 1911 Census of England & Wales is:)

900974832_1911CensusofEnglandandWalescriteriaforentry.jpg.ebe6d7db7c1ff6ca2da6525aae0acb10.jpg

(courtesy Genes Reunited)

Cheers,

Peter

1 hour ago, PRC said:

To be totally precise the date criteria for inclusion at a particular location on the 1911 Census of England & Wales is:)

900974832_1911CensusofEnglandandWalescriteriaforentry.jpg.ebe6d7db7c1ff6ca2da6525aae0acb10.jpg

That's me told then!

;-) M