Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Levi Squires, 2nd Bn., Sherwood Foresters.

Cliff. Hobson

To Terry Denham, may I ask for your advice please.

Whether it would be worth petitioning the C.W.G.C. for the erection of an headstone.

Levi Squires died of wounds 8th May 1917, two weeks after being wounded in a trench raid at Hooge he is buried in the Village Churchyard, name inscribed on the kerb side surround. Grave now derelict his Mother who evidently died some years after the war is I believe, buried in the same grave. ( yet to try to confirm this).

His Father, Harry, was K.I.A. 30th March 1918, no known grave and is commemorated on the Poiziers Memorial.

Regards Cliff.

• 4 months later...

Cliff,

did you ever get a reply?

Cliff

If the grave is as you describe, then it means that the relatives declined a CWGC stone and elected to have a private memorial. The name on kerbstone type is quite common.

If the relatives declined an official stone, there is nothing CWGC can do unless the name becomes unreadable (doesn't sound like it from what you say). CWGC usually is happy with kerbstones bearing a name such as you describe.

As this appears to be a private grave, CWGC does not have any rights to erect a headstone of its own volition anyway and so a petition would do no good. This grave will be inspected regularly by their Area Inspector and he/she will report when, in his/her opinion, it is no longer a fitting commemoration. Then CWGC will try to rectify the situation but it can be a very long process with all the legal ramifications involved.