Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Why was the poor young Australian the only one in the cemetery?

Lady Linda

Whilst visiting local churches and trying to update CWGC photos that had been renewed, I came across this solitary young man at Bishopstone, near Wilton, Wilshire.  Whilst I know we have plenty of Anzac graves in the locality, like Sutton Veny, Compton Chamberlayne, Codford, and Fovant etc. I know there were hospitals at Fovant etc that they would have died in. Just puzzled why he came to be in this one on his own? What would have been the connection?

bishopstone 002.JPG

Hi

Service record says died of broncho-pneumonia in Fargo Military Hospital.

Buried 5 February 1917 but there is a note that a relative was Mrs. Raikes of Salisbury, although he appears to have been adopted.

There is a bit of communication regarding who should have his medal as he has no blood relatives, but I cannot see another reference to Mrs. Raikes.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3004296

Regards,

Graeme

Edited by GraemeClarke

Looking through his papers it seems he may have been adopted. A handwritten letter from his (step?) mother in Australia suggests that her uncle was Rev. F Raikes, of Bishopstone.

Martin

9 minutes ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi

Service record says died of broncho-pneumonia in Fargo Military Hospital.

Buried 5 February 1917 but there is a note that a relative was Mrs. Raikes of Salisbury, although he appears to have been adopted.

There is a bit of communication regarding who should have his medal as he has no blood relatives, but I cannot see another reference to Mrs. Raikes.

https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/SearchNRetrieve/Interface/ViewImage.aspx?B=3004296

Regards,

Graeme

Thanks I knew I could rely on you. Now I  will do some further digging.The name Raikes rings a bell as I am sure I saw that name in the church somewhere. Thank you once again for instant help! May I take this opportunity to wish you a Happy Christmas and New Year.:hypocrite:

1 minute ago, tootrock said:

Looking through his papers it seems he may have been adopted. A handwritten letter from his (step?) mother in Australia suggests that her uncle was Rev. F Raikes, of Bishopstone.

Martin

Ah! now that is how I remember seeing the name in the church, thank you so much for filling in all the info. I just felt so sorry for him on his own as there are normally one or two others wherever you go. Happy Christmas and New Year.