Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Double Shoulder Insignia - Help

Canteen soldier

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.  He is Army Service Corps - but why have and what is the second brassard?  It was taken in Egypt at a Cairo studio in I believe 1918.

Thanks

Egypt 1918.jpg

It is curious that he is wearing the same shoulder title in different sizes. Do you have any other information about the soldier that might help to explain this? A misinterpretation of the regulations or “belt and braces” ?

All the best,

Gary

It's RFC

Royal Flying Corps

ASC attached to RFC

I've not seen this set up before

Chris

Edited by Dragoon

That's the problem making out the 3 letters - is it another ASC or an RFC or something else. To me it looks like REC with the E being elaborate script. He was a Staff Sgt, Canteens Section of the ASC and I have never seen this anywhere else. 

good morning,

the title above ASC is EFC for Expeditionary Force Canteens.

here is an EFC coming from the field (St Omer area)

DSC_0001.JPG.97f3492df65879c23598bad82e635624.JPG

and a photo I colored.

569433801_expeditionnaryforcecanteen(2).png.9f3d2e508cd10884b58da19b838d8ab4.png

4_1313.jpg.35fda8020adfe38c509ba737bab8044e.jpg

regards

michel

Edited by battle of loos

18 minutes ago, battle of loos said:

good morning,

the title above ASC is EFC for Expeditionary Force Canteens.

here is an EFC coming from the field (St Omer area)

DSC_0001.JPG.97f3492df65879c23598bad82e635624.JPG

and a photo I colored.

569433801_expeditionnaryforcecanteen(2).png.9f3d2e508cd10884b58da19b838d8ab4.png

regards

michel

Good spot Michel

EFC it is

Chris

The fact he was serving with the EFC clinches it. Kudos to Michael. I wonder if the practice of wearing the double titles was common?

All the best,

Gary

good morning,

I've already seen pictures of ASC with MT (Mechanical Transport) above 

michel

Michel,

noted! I was aware of the MT ones but was thinking more of the EFC ones. Off hand, I can’t think of any other ones that would have been worn? Unfortunately, not a great deal is known about the EFC. They seem to have operated in the shadow of the transport side of the ASC. 

All the best,

Gary

Thank you for all opinions and I agree it appears to be EFC. My query was because a couple of things mitigated against that.

The EFC Brassards first appeared in 1915 with the EFC cap badge. In early 1916 when they were rebadged ASC a hybrid period existed with ASC caps and EFC brassards. By 1917 it was ASC badge and brassard or no brassard at all.  However in late 1917  EFC as an organisation (not the personnel)  was replaced in Egypt, Malta and Mesopotamia by the NACB although I am not aware of any NACB shoulder title. Given the date and location I now think it likely it is a personal affectation of the soldier involved and not the standard.

You referred to an EFC cap badge? I don’t recall having seen one. Do you have an image you can share?

All the best,

Gary

3 minutes ago, Waggoner said:

You referred to an EFC cap badge? I don’t recall having seen one. Do you have an image you can share?

All the best,

Gary

Other ranks brass, Gary, and OSD bronze for officers.

Image imperial war museum.

9BB934D7-7AF9-4283-8144-3D0DB8DCB656.jpeg

34F15EB0-E950-413A-B127-C9FB1BB6FAAE.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile,

Thank you. I have seen this badge but isn’t it for the later Navy and Army Canteen Board? I thought that Canteen soldier had referred to one for the EFC before they adopted the ASC badge? Was there one?

Which  reminds me, I need find a NACB badge for the collection...an an EFC shoulder title.

All the best,

Gary

14 hours ago, Waggoner said:

Frogsmile,

Thank you. I have seen this badge but isn’t it for the later Navy and Army Canteen Board? I thought that Canteen soldier had referred to one for the EFC before they adopted the ASC badge? Was there one?

Which  reminds me, I need find a NACB badge for the collection...an an EFC shoulder title.

All the best,

Gary

I think the NACB was set up in 1917, I’m not sure if there was a special badge before that date, but I will check.

Afternote:  It seems (and makes sense too) that the [edit] EFC came under and wore the cap badge of the ASC, but with EFC shoulder title.  This chimes with the OP’s photo.

D93EA671-6C8A-4C69-8ABA-EC0F3188AB68.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you everyone for the input and I think that my original question is resolved. I have been researching the EFC for some time now and am hoping to publish a small work on them. The NACB was not per se a uniformed organisation, they formed to served the canteen needs of the army at home in a civilian capacity something the EFC never did or was allowed to do.  However in a few locations - the personnel provided were badged ASC and  later RASC. It allowed the winding down of the EFC which involved taking considerable losses on disposing of its stocks and equipment. It was thus in part an accounting solution and quite transitory allowing the formation of Naafi in 1920 unencumbered by those costs.

It will be interesting to see the history drawn together.  Do bear in mind that the insignia on the shoulder strap is generally called a shoulder title, whereas a brassard was/is a cloth arm band worn midway on the upper arm.

6502047E-1BBA-4486-BE7E-122A9CE42FDC.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

15 hours ago, Waggoner said:

All the best,

Gary

Gary, the first cap badge was a monogram of the letters EFC. The badge is shown on page 111 of the book "Badges of the Empire's Waggoners".   Pete.

1 hour ago, Canteen soldier said:

Frogsmile -  I really was not aware of that distinction and am grateful for the correction. 

I’m glad to help and recommend that before you publish you get someone with some British military knowledge of that period to read through the draft to check for terminology, it should avoid any pitfalls that might confuse readers.

I enclose an image of the cap badge mentioned by Pete above (notice slider at back for inserting into the front of the cap), along with a shoulder title above it.

EFC WW1.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile,

Thank you for the images! Most informative. 

Canteen soldier,

Have you come across any references to how the prefixes to the service numbers were authorized? I collect medals to the ASC based on the prefixes to the service numbers. I have several examples of the different prefixes that were used but haven’t seen any documents that authorized their use.

All the best,

Gary

19 minutes ago, Waggoner said:

Frogsmile,

Thank you for the images! Most informative. 

Canteen soldier,

Have you come across any references to how the prefixes to the service numbers were authorized? I collect medals to the ASC based on the prefixes to the service numbers. I have several examples of the different prefixes that were used but haven’t seen any documents that authorized their use.

All the best,

Gary

Glad to help Gary, good to see you posting again, it's been a while since VWF.

Edited by FROGSMILE