Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SERJEANT WALTER AUGUSTUS FERNYHOUGH

MotherMave

Hi everyone, I am researching this soldier, but really want to know what happened to the Regiment on the day he died on the 8th September 1915.   I have his family but cannot find out what the 6th Bn Loyal North Lancashire Regiment were doing and how he died.

SERJEANT

WALTER AUGUSTUS FERNYHOUGH

Service Number: 20004

Regiment & Unit/Ship

The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment - 6th Bn.

Date of Death - Died 08 September 1915

Buried or commemorated at

HELLES MEMORIAL

Panel 152 to 154. 

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards, Mavis Williams

Thank you so much, I have downloaded Sept. 1915 of the War Diaries but doesn't give any indication of fighting, so I am wondering if he died of a disease, but I suppose he could have been injured previously and succumbed on the 8th September 1915.     I do appreciate your input, at least I know what they were doing on that day.    Regards, Mavis

Bless you IPT!   Thank you so much, there wasn't much on Find my Past, and somehow didn't get very far with Ancestry, now of course I have found it there.   Thanks again,  Mavis

Going by the abbreviated version of the WD available in Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' the last mention of firing line before this man's death was on 21st August:- “Detachment sent to support 16th Australian Battalion in firing line”

It may well be simply a coincidence, but the ship which he died on was also Australian.

https://www.birtwistlewiki.com.au/wiki/File:HMAT_A72_Beltana.jpg

The Beltana was more of a troop ship than specifically a Hospital Ship, and a few days later (17th September 1915) she left Egypt for Australia with returning wounded.

Edited by michaeldr
edit to add link to photograph of 'Beltana'

Thank you michaeldr, that seems a likely date and as you say the Beltana was Australian, that is a possible scenario, many thanks for this especially the photograph as well.

Regards, Mavis