Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What is this cap badge?

Arquebus

I have been trying to identify this cap badge for a contact....does anyone recognise it?

It is at the best resolution that can be obtained.

I am certain the Tudor crown (rather than St Andrews) can be seen at the top.

The diagonals are similar to the Machine Gun Corps, but the centre appears to be solid and if you look hard, there is a hint of radiating lines away from the centre ending in dots.

My view is it is something like Army Cyclists Corps, but the photo was taken 1917 and I thought this Corps was disbanded by that date.

There is a chance it may be a New Zealand Army badge.

Thanks Al.

post-1-1109525898.jpg

The Canadian Machine Gun Corps wore a Badge with the Machine Guns superimposed on a Maple Leaf,which would possibly give the appearance your badge has?

Thanks lads, I had thought of those particularly the Canadian one but the line of dots which seem to be at the end of lines radiating from the centre seem to discount the suggestions....if you enlarge the image to almost silly size you can just make them out...they are midway between the centre (which looks like a shield of some sort) and the outer extremities of the badge.

The trouble is, this bloke spent time in UK police pre-war, Natal South Africa and New Zealand before the photo was taken in 1917, supposedly in Herts.

Apart from the fact that the uniform looks like an Army one (attached), who is to say it wasn't a posed photo using an old uniform.

Al.

post-1-1109590172.jpg