Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for information on the No 1 Pilot Boat

larneman

I was tempted to go to the memorial service Ian, but we had visitors.

The photo came from the Wallasey News on 5th January 1918.

About half of the casualties on the Alfred H Read came from Wallasey, and I have newpaper photos for several of them.

The rather poor photo of Charles that I posted is from a pretty good obituary for him. Quite a bit of info in it for you.

Should I send it off to your Liverpool Scottish address? Otherwise, please send me an e-mail address by PM.

(A late Christmas present for you Ian !)

BillyH.

Billy,

Service was well attended and well conducted. The Pilotage was very well represented. About five families represented which seems pretty good after 100 years. If you could send the obit to the LS address that would be good. Much appreciated

Ian

WP_20171228_15_59_05_Pro.jpg

Edited by Ian Riley

Sent that off to you Ian. Let me know if it doesn't arrive.

BillyH.

Also remembering  John Lewis, Master (Pilot 1st Class).  Born Llanallgo, Anglesey 1859, son of a local mariner.   Husband of Mrs Elizabeth Lewis nee Roberts of Llaneugrad, Anglesey.  Later (1911) resided 54 Arnold Street, Princes Park, Liverpool and she was eventually of 8 Langford Road, Aigburth, Liverpool and died 1932 aged 70. 

Lewis first served as an Ordinary Seaman aboard the schooner “Penelope” (Beaumaris) from September 1874 to November 1876; then as Ordinary Seaman in the sloop “Mary Ann Jane” (Beaumaris) from January to August 1877, both in coastal trade.  He joined the Liverpool Pilot Service as an apprentice in August 1877, and worked his way up through the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd classes of Pilot for eight years.  He   was licensed as a Pilot 1st Class on 10 September 1885 and became a certificated (103051) Master Mariner 26 April 1889, after 14 years 5 months sea experience.  At that time he was resident 44 Arundel Street, Princes Road, Liverpool.  He worked for the Liverpool Pilotage Authority for 40 years.

By 1911 the couple had four children, plus an infant who died earlier.  The infant and Mrs Lewis are buried in Llaneugrad Churchyard, Anglesey, and their headstone mentions John Lewis's death in 1917.  

Clive

Edited by clive_hughes

I attended the memorial service yesterday as a family member of J.F.J.Cameron Liverpool Pilot who was killed on the Alfred Read.First of all I should like to say what a wonderful and moving service it was and how very welcome and special the organisers and pilot members made us feel.Thank you.Secondly if anyone has any information for J.F.J Cameron -similar to that found for C.J.Prior- that would be wonderful -again thank you.Thirdly the above post for C J Prior refers to a British War Medal and a Mercantile Marine Medal. Does anyone know whether J.F.J Cameron would have been entitled to same as a serving Pilot?

Welcome to the Forum. The access point at the National archive is http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/merchant-seamens-campaign-medal-records-1914-1918/ 

I just tried a search on JFJ Cameron with no great success but you may need a Christian Name and possibly a place of birth. 

Whoo! Found him, I think, trying a guess on 'John' and trawling through -  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D7987685  It will cost you £3.50 to download the Medal Index Card that will hopefully show the entitlement.

Ian

Edited by Ian Riley

He also appears to be on four war memorials in Merseyside (this table the work of George Donnison, David Evans, Philip Ross and a friend who would probably prefer to stay anonymous but to whom I will refer to as 'Seaside Walk'.  

NAMESRT
SURNAME INIT FIRSTNAME RANK UNIT AWARD MEMORIAL CONFLICT ADDITIONAL
CAMERON JFJ John       Masonic Hall, Hope St, Liverpool WW1  
CAMERON JFJ John       Central Hall (Methodist Mission), Renshaw Street WW1  
CAMERON JFJ JOHN PILOT No.1 PILOT BOAT "ALFRED R   Wallasey War Memorial (ROH Now in Wallasey Library, Earlston Rd.) WW1  
CAMERON JFJ JOHN       Parish of Wallasey Now in King's Reg Res Col Nat. Mus. & Galls WW1  

59 minutes ago, Ros S said:

Secondly if anyone has any information for J.F.J Cameron -similar to that found for C.J.Prior- that would be wonderful -again thank you.

The families of those casualties born within Liverpool (and the MIC gives his place of birth as Liverpool) could apply to have the name inscribed on the Roll of Honour in Liverpool Town Hall. 'Liverpool' was not the postal Liverpool but within the city boundaries (eg Bootle was a separate county borough). JFJ Cameron does not appear to be listed there http://liverpoolcityhalls.co.uk/town-hall/about/hall-of-remembrance/search-roll-of-honour/?surname=Cameron&page=1  It was up to families to submit names. It may be because he was resident in Wallasey but I notice that there is a reference to 'military war dead' although this might be a modernism. It would be strange if the City of Liverpool, then one of the greatest seafaring cities in the world, did not include the Merchant Marine, Sadly, I have searched the Liverpool Town Hall database for some of the 'Liverpool' names on the Alfred H Read Roll of Honour and have found none. I haven't turned up any Merchant Navy names or ships amongst the search at all. Names are regularly added at Liverpool  Town Hall in Castle Street with some ceremony; it might be worth enquiring if he was born within the city boundaries.

Interesting the Masonic Hall and Methodist boards- JFJ Cameron's Father  was very 'big' in the Masons at the time and devout methodists too.We are not aware of those entries so will go see them.What a great help this site is.

7 minutes ago, Ros S said:

Oh Ian that's great -thank you so much.

Apologies for doing three separate posts. Hope that what's on the Medal Card is the right stuff. They show an issue of ribbons (before the medals were struck) and an issue of the actual medal. The 'ribbons' bit for Charles Prior was crossed out as presumably they were issued with the medals themselves when his father applied for them in 1921

Edited by Ian Riley

Unfortunately there was nothing specifically about John Frederick James Cameron in the Wallasey newspapers, but his name and address is included in their list of casualties. He was 31 years old and popularly known as 'Fred' . His wife's address was No. 11 Ladyewood Road in Seacombe/Liscard.

He is also named on the War Memorial situated outside St. Hilary's Church in Wallasey.

Ros, if you want the newspapers cuttings that I have then send me a PM (Personal Message) with your e-mail address. To do this you need to hover your cursor over my name, and from the drop down menu select 'Message'

BillyH.