Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John McIntyre Malloy, RAMC

Neil 2242

I've come across this man in the course of my research, and he seems to me like a possible non-commemoration so I'd appreciate an expert assessment.

The salient facts are as follows:

40344 Pte John McIntyre Malloy, RAMC has some extensive service papers online.

He was born in Glasgow in 1890 and enlisted in Sept 1914

He was discharged from the Army in June 1918 due to chronic tuberculosis. He was originally diagnosed in Aug 1917 and his papers specifically say that his condition was directly attributable to active service in Mesopotamia.

He died on 27 Nov 1918 at Ochil Hills Sanatorium back home in Scotland. His death record gives cause of death as "influenza and phthisis, pneumonia 5 days". So his tuberculosis would seem to be officially acknowledged as a contributory factor in his death.

See also this other thread:

As you are undoubtedly aware Phthisis is an archaic medical term for pulmonary tuberculosis. Given that it is cited as a cause of death in conjunction with influenza, I would have no hesitation in submitting this to the IFCP for onward transmission to the CWGC.

This one is very similar to the Twiddy case that Terry has kindly recently proceessed:

https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/285174-ernest-george-twiddy-5871-royal-fusiliers/?tab=comments#comment-2936469