Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Cameronians

Stevejm

i found the attached photo in the family photo collection. it shows my great grandmother's brother Samuel Chatwood second from right back row who served with the 10th Cameronians from September 1914 until he was killed in action at Loos on 25 September 1915. i thought that the photo was very unusual in that it shows officers, NCOs and privates in a small group. In an attempt to find an explanation for the photo I read through the War Diary and found mention that Captain Renwick lead a billeting party ahead of the main group soon after arrival in France so it occurred to me that this may be a photo of this group. Any other ideas?

Cameronians.jpg

Edited by Stevejm
error

• Admin

Welcome to the forum. CWGC shows that Samuel was in A Company 10th Cameronians , there was no  Caledonians. I’m not sure if the photo is in France, might be before they went over. 
 Michelle 

2 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Welcome to the forum. CWGC shows that Samuel was in A Company 10th Cameronians , there was no  Caledonians. I’m not sure if the photo is in France, might be before they went over. 
 Michelle 

Thanks for the reply. My mistake! Sorry! i know its the Cameronians but for some reason typed Caledonians. i believe it is  taken in France because they are wearing boots which the WD mentions were issued to the men just prior to embarkation on the troop ship in England

• Stevejm changed the title to 10th Cameronians
1 minute ago, Stevejm said:

Thanks for the reply. My mistake! Sorry! i know its the Cameronians but for some reason typed Caledonians. i believe it is  taken in France because they are wearing boots which the WD mentions were issued to the men just prior to embarkation on the troop ship in England

I have edited the post to avoid confusion! 

• Admin

My predictive text always types Cameroonians! 

8 hours ago, Stevejm said:

Steve, it can’t be taken in France, as they’re dressed pristinely, unarmed, without equipment, and carrying swagger sticks for walking-out of barracks.  There are also three officers in the front row, one in Douglas tartan trews not usually worn in the trenches, and a rather elderly colour sergeant seated far left.  It has all the hallmarks of a photo taken ‘at home’ (in Britain).  They also have not yet been provided with black, rifles pattern buttons, although it did take time for these to be provided for some battalions early in the war.

NB.  The most likely location for such a small group of mixed ranks is when the battalion was dispersed into winter billets at Winchester in February 1915.

Edited by FROGSMILE

A typical mix of dress from early in the war.  The trousers don’t match the jacket and the waist belt is from the obsolete Slade-Wallace pattern equipment set.  His journey was a very short one.  Loos was such a tragic action and his innocent gaze at the camera seems so poignant.

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin

Such a young lad. Only in France from 11th July. As and when we can get back to the battlefiedls, I will visit Samuel for you. 

Michelle 

8 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Such a young lad. Only in France from 11th July. As and when we can get back to the battlefiedls, I will visit Samuel for you. 

Michelle 

That’s nice. Thank you. He was a mill worker in Lancashire. Apparently the Cameronians recruited a lot of young men from Lancs

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

A typical mix of dress from early in the war.  The trousers don’t match the jacket and the waist belt is from obsolete Slade-Wallace pattern equipment set.  His journey was a very short one.  Loos was such a tragic action and his innocent gaze at the camera seems so poignant.

I wondered about the non matching trousers. Both this and the group photo have post card imprints on the back. Was that typical?

1 minute ago, Stevejm said:

I wondered about the non matching trousers. Both this and the group photo have post card imprints on the back. Was that typical?

Yes, the vast majority of photographic studios of that time (both in Britain and on the continent) imprinted all their developed images on a postcard template.  It was extremely popular for individuals to send photos of themselves as postcards, often along with a message written explaining the circumstances of the scene depicted.  Rather like a modern selfie in social media....look at me and look at what I’m doing...

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, the vast majority of photographic studios of that time (both in Britain and on the continent) imprinted all their developed images on a postcard template.  It was extremely popular for individuals to send photos of themselves as postcards, often along with a message written explaining the circumstances of the scene depicted.  Rather like a modern selfie in social media....look at me and look at what I’m doing...

That explains it. Thanks again 

7 hours ago, Stevejm said:

I thought this newspaper cutting was interesting. Sam Chatwoood was recruited in Lancashire46087791_burnleyExpress.JPG.f0696b5089a30c950143a9dcff4b951a.JPG

It’s extremely interesting to me because it was written by a CQMS and it’s a deeply embedded British infantry tradition that in each company the CQMS is responsible for distributing goodies to the men of his company.  Of course in normal routine this includes things like rations, hot soup, the rum ration, fresh bread, etc. and for celebrations he will also bring cakes and organise such things as beer.  In addition he invariably runs a small stock of chocolate and cigarettes and on operations generally distributes donations from the public such as those sought in the newspaper article.  It is still the case today.  Let’s hope that the 10th Cameronian’s were successful with their plea. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

49 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s extremely interesting to me because it was written by a CQMS and it’s a deeply embedded British infantry tradition that in each company the CQMS is responsible for distributing goodies to the lads of his company.  Of course in normal routine this includes things like rations, hot soup, the rum ration, fresh bread, etc. and for celebrations he will also bring cakes and organise such things as beer.  In addition he invariably runs a small stock of chocolate and cigarettes and on operations generally distributes donations from the public such as those sought in the newspaper article.  It is still the case today.  Let’s hope that the 10th Cameronian’s were successful with their plea.

I am glad it was interesting. It was found by my 82 year old mother who is keeping very busy with family history research whilst isolating at home. Sadly Sam wouldn’t have benefited from any donations as he was KIA 7 days after the paper was published

• 2 weeks later...

Sam Chatwood is commemorated on a panel at Loos cemetery. Does this mean that his body was never found or identified? The story passed down in the family was that his two friends who joined up with him looked for him but couldn’t find him. They both had his name tattooed on their arms in his memory. When his brother in law ( my great grandfather) heard about his fate he immediately volunteered despite having a wife and two children.

Sam panel.png

• Admin

Yes it does mean that, he might be one of the thousands of Known Unto God burials in the cemeteries around Loos. 

Michelle 

27 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Yes it does mean that, he might be one of the thousands of Known Unto God burials in the cemeteries around Loos. 

Michelle 

Thanks Michelle. The story passed on to my mother by her grandmother was that his friends “couldn’t find any of his remains” which suggests that he was hit by a shell doesn’t it?

• Admin

Or his body was buried but then blown up subsequently. 

Michelle 

9 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Or his body was buried but then blown up subsequently. 

Michelle 

Perhaps but doesn’t his friends’ comment that they couldn’t find any of his remains suggest that they saw him hit and found nothing left?

• 3 weeks later...

in case anyone else has an interest in the 10th  I found a history of the battalion penned by officers who survived the war which can be accessed for on line viewing via the following link

https://digitalarchive.mcmaster.ca/islandora/object/macrepo%3A67739

One of the staggering facts that I came across was that all officers of Sam Chatwood's company (A company) were KIA on the first day of Loos with the exception of one of the two captains ( Junior captains of each company were held back and didn't join the attack). The abovementioned book gives a good description of the training in UK and a more personal view of life in the battalion which isn't covered by the WD which starts on mobilization to France in July 1915