Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Helles Memorial

Mark Hone

I am writing a small guide booklet for our school mini-battlefields tour to Gallipoli. Two of our former pupils , both 1/5th LF, are commemorated on the Helles Memorial. (Private G.V. Buxton and Lieutenant W.C. Yapp).Unfortunately, while the guidebooks agree that the LF and the Manchesters have the most names on the Memorial, they don't agree on the actual numbers. Could a kind Pal please give me a definitive answer?

Hi Mark,

A quick SDGW would show :-

1727 Lancashire Fusiliers

1471 Manchester Regiment

However this does not directly relate to the memorial but to the theatre.

Terry Denham may be able to assist witht he memorial numbers themselves.

Hope this helps.

Roop

Mark

There is a Forum Member,Ralph Mclean (southafricawargraves) who has photographed every panel of the Helles Memorial.He helped me out with a photograph of Panel 102,which one on my relatives is commemorated on.

Maybe he could help with your query.If you can find out what panels on the memorial refer to the Lancashires and Manchesters !!

Stephen :unsure:

Edited by Stephen White

Mark

Don't have the figures but the following info might be of contextual interest albeit it relates to 1/6th Mancs.

In an attack on 7 August 1915, my research indicates at least 76 killed.

75 are recorded in SDGW or ODGW.

68 are commemorated on Helles

Only 6 have a known grave

1 appears not to be recorded by CWGC (although I havnt given more than a cursory look, so he might be there)

The 76th man (not recorded by SDGW or CWGC) is my researchee.

John

The Helles Memorial Introduction (1980 edition) records the following numbers:-

Lancashire Fusiliers 1,329 panels 58 to 72

Lancashire Fusiliers (at sea) 28 (panels 218 & 219)

Manchester Regiment 1,177 panels 158 to 170

Next closest would be the Worcesters with 833 names and the Hampshires with 825.

Those at sea probably from the transport "Royal Edward" torpedoed on 13th Aug 1915 (three other ships lost, whose names recorded on the memorial).

Incidentally, the text of the intro, originally written in 1927 states: "the Lancashire Fusiliers, with 1246 names, and the Manchester Regiment, with 1086, sustained the heaviest losses". A considerable revision had obviously taken place between 1927 and 1980.

Thank you to everyone who replied. I shall use the 'forum' numbers in my publication. A bit frustrated that I am not able to go on this trip myself. It involves two boys who have kindly been given bursaries by the Gallipoli Association.

Mark,

You will need to add to the numbers the handful who are on the addenda panel.

Sadly this does not yet include T R Worthington of the Manchesters - though John Hartley is working on this omission.

The panels of Manchesters seem endless as do the LFs.

Mark

The exact number of names in the CWGC database for these two regiments on the Helles Memorial - as of today's date - is as follows.....

Manchester Regt 1180

Lancashire Fusiliers 1364

This excludes alias names and includes all addendas etc.

Richard

As a matter of interest, today's figures for the Worcs and Hants Regts are...

Hampshire Regt 1035

Worcestershire Regt 835

Sadly this does not yet include T R Worthington of the Manchesters - though John Hartley is working on this omission.

An interesting development of sorts there, Martin. I've heard from CWGC that the MoD has agreed that T R Worthington should be commemorated. However, in spite of my submission, they refer to T R Worthington dying in France/Flanders.

They have, in fact, agreed to commemorate entirely the wrong bloke - who actually didnt die until the 1940s having served throughout the War and become a successful businessman. CWGC had already spotted the difficulty and had consulted with the Regimental Association who provided them with the relevent info. They could have asked me as I already discovered this other Worthington and discounted him when I thought my man had been commissioned.

I am back at the drawing board exercising, on Terry D's recommendation, great patience. And hoping that I can get Tom recognised before the 90th aniversary of his death. My MP takes an interest in things military. I may drop her a line- Suspect she might like a good local interest story in the run-up to the election.

John