Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Silver War Badge

Stephen Barker

I have just purchased a silver war badge from the flea Market in Buckingham.

It has a number on.

Can this tell me anything?

Many thanks

Stephen

Hi Stephen.

The number on the badge is the "issue number".

This number can be referenced at Kew, in the SWB roll, giving you details of recipient and reasons for issue etc.

Mark

So it's not the man's number!

Is it easy to access the rolls?

Stephen

Stephen.

No, it's not the mans Service Number.

The SWB rolls are accessible only by personal visit to the NA in Kew, as I believe they are not available online.

Sorry not to be of any greater help.

Mark

Hi Stephen

In short, No. It depends greatly on what the number of the badge is and what, if any, prefix the badge has. What number is your badge ?

Steve

The Rolls for the Silver War Badge can only be accessed by having the list number for the recipient so to find the badge for a named individual is easy but to find the name of an individual from a badge number is very hard. There are a small number of researchers who have the "keys" to the rolls and they can find out for you. They normally charge between £3 to £5 per badge.

Steve

The SWB rolls are accessible only by personal visit to the NA in Kew, as I believe they are not available online.

Mark

The first 500 pages of Officer Silver War Badges are available on line.

Steve

to find the name of an individual from a badge number is very hard.

Steve.

I thought it might be a tricky job, just knowing the badge number.

Easier to find the badge from the individuals details, rather than the individual from the badge.

Mark

For ease of looking.... Here's a link for the Officers SWB entries (well, the search results anyway!)....

Officers SWB - 1st 500

I think it's about time the NA decided to reduce their prices due to more & more info being made available, more people would download more often. 500 entries, 11 downloads = £38.50 just for basic information. I'd be happier requesting more MICs and this list..... as would many others.

I'll get off my soapbox now --- taxi !!!!

Les.

I think it's about time the NA decided to reduce their prices due to more & more info being made available, more people would download more often. 500 entries, 11 downloads = £38.50 just for basic information.

Les.

Les

There are on average about 12 badge numbers per page each giving Rank, Name, Corps, Badge Number and Address. £38:50 isn't quite so bad for approximately 6000 badge ids. These are, however, in badge number order and therefore difficult to search for individual names.

Steve

Thanks for all these replies.

My number is 12576

Doest his mean anything?

Stephen

It means that it was awarded to a member of the British Army and it was a very early issue. It was probably issued about October 1916.

Steve