Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

General Heinrich Gottfried Otto Richard von Scheel -Vietinghoff

stevenbecker

Mates,

All sources give many details on his service during the 2nd War, but none on what he did in the Great War?

Clearly by his awards he served on the Eastern Front possibly in Galicia and Romania

I have no record of him in Ottoman Service so the Eastern front appears likely?

Some of his awards

Ottoman War Medal and KUK Military Merit Cross and Bulgaria Military Merit Order 

So does anyone have any details on his service during the Great War?

Cheers

S.B

In the Verlustlisten, p. 19743, General Heinrich von vietinghoff ge. Scheel is listed as deceased of illness in 1917.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/6203492

How does that fit? Could the Heinrich of WWII be his son? Otherwise the general would have been 82 years old when WWII broke out (born 1.1.1857).

2 minutes ago, Jaeger6 said:

In the Verlustlisten, p. 19743, General Heinrich von vietinghoff ge. Scheel is listed as deceased of illness in 1917.

http://des.genealogy.net/search/show/6203492

How does that fit? Could the Heinrich of WWII be his son? Otherwise the general would have been 82 years old when WWII broke out (born 1.1.1857).

Just saw my mistake. Of course the deceased general is the father of the latter one, being an Oberleutnant during the Great War.

Sorry.

Mate,

Yes I am still not sure how he got his awards for service in the East?

From what I have and been given it must have been "staff of the chief of the general staff of the Feldheeres" as the 213th Div served only on the Western Front?

But what is this "staff of the chief of the general staff of the Feldheeres"

Any ideas

S.B

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/11/2020 at 22:37, stevebecker said:

staff of the chief of the general staff of the Feldheeres

The strategic-operational management or supreme command of the active units of the German Army during the First World War was theoretically the Kaiser as "Oberste Heeresleitung" (OHL), or Supreme Army Command. This function was in fact exercised by the Chief of General Staff of the Field Army, or in German "Chef des Generalstabs des Feldheeres". During the time Paul von Hindenburg was Chief of General Staff (1916-1918) the terms became synonymous. So it seems that von Scheel-Viettighoff was in the staff of the OHL.