Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/Lieutenant George Spencer JACOBS

GrahamC

Hi guys

2/Lieutenant George Spencer JACOBS was a junior Officer in 'A' Coy., 1/Cheshires, and was taken prisoner at Audregnies on 24 August 1914.

I have found out that he married Marie Alphonsine Philomène Berthe Ghislaine Monnier, born in Tournai, Belgium, on 25th February 1896, presumably someone he met during his time in captivity, although Tournai is only 44 kms. from Audregnies.

However, that's all I've managed to find - not found his d-o-b, his family, etc. Only that George died on 8th July 1948 at 'The Chalet', 44 Salisbury Road, Dover, Kent.

As always any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Graham

Some questions might be answered from his officer file, which is at The National Archives in Kew:

image.png.14c4248f10192a7759fb2f33d33ee2d8.png

Alas, not digitised and subject to re-openings at Kew per Covid

Also, he has a Red Cross Card-which has reference to a number of other references to him-  It is listed under "Jacob"-and then  Cheshire in the Index. I have not zapped the further references on the card but they should provide you with some more information

image.png.e1158e3d160b7699e80a95c5b4b7a717.png

Bits and pieces. He has a Pension Card (Fold3 via WFA) annotated 'Capt, age 36, disability influenza, forwarding address Parrs Bank, Crewe'. No further detail. 

His grave in on Find-a-Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/148592054/george-spencer-jacobs. The author has added an amount of family detail, which a quick check of Ancestry shows is accurate. Marie died on 18 Aug 74.

Acknown

In the 1939 England and Wales Register (Ancestry) he was living at 44 Salisbury Road, Dover. His DOB is 07 Mar 85. He was a 'modern language tutor 4 languages for Services (illegible)'. He was in the Army Officers Emergency Reserve. Marie is also there, DOB 23 Feb 96, but no children listed.

Acknown

Many thanks, guys

I must have spent about 3 hours looking for these sources yesterday and not a scoobie.  Is it me??

Best wishes

Graham