Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unit identification

Phil Hollington

Dear all,

We have several family photos that we are struggling to identify, and any help with identifying the officer’s regiment in this one would be much appreciated. It was taken in Glasgow sometime 1914-18. If anyone knows the nursing unit as well that would be useful -  I will also poat it in the relevant sub-forum.

Many thanks in advance, Phil

CA9A859B-237E-4B44-8254-6B6750CC9161.jpeg

Looks like the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles).

Yes Phillip is bang on, definitely the Cameronian’s (Scottish Rifles).  As well as cap badge and black buttons, the regiment was one of just two in the infantry that followed a tradition that officers of the regular battalions would generally wear two shoulder braces with their black leather Sam Browne belts. The regimental HQ and depot was in Hamilton Barracks, Glasgow, a location it shared with the Highland Light Infantry.

It’s a fine photo and the lady with him is dressed in the ‘outdoors’ version of the dark blue uniform of the British Red Cross VAD general duties (i.e. administrative) branch, probably for the City of Glasgow.  He has a single wound stripe on his left cuff and from his general demeanour seems to perhaps be showing some of the mental strain of his active service.

4B1EB389-B35F-4E5E-9DA6-21D73D06449A.jpeg

03ABA2CE-FBC8-4EBE-A36C-61C93E3293B4.jpeg

F50E58DB-6302-43AC-B386-90771045952C.jpeg

D558FD8F-53A0-4A86-86EC-B25E6C081BC7.jpeg

B1B52B54-3111-436D-B06B-4E88432F31C1.jpeg

4C99F9D7-4458-4908-8776-DFBD99757BE4.jpeg

6054BCC4-31E4-4083-B44F-830BB01DCE6B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

That’s terrific, thank you both very much, although it has rather thrown a spanner in the works for the family history as it may not be the person we thought it was. Very useful about the Red Cross uniform as well, so thamks too for that.

I wonder what the officer in the original photo is carrying in his right breast pocket that is apparently attached to the lanyard.

On 22/11/2020 at 16:53, gordon92 said:

I wonder what the officer in the original photo is carrying in his right breast pocket that is apparently attached to the lanyard.

Perhaps a Orilux pocket torch going by the rectangular shape.  Most useful in a dugout and when doing officers rounds of the sentry positions.  The torch itself was shaped to fit a pocket and its leather case to be attached to the Sam Browne belt ancillary equipment, or it could be clipped to a lanyard.
That said, it wasn’t needed for the photo, but as it seems to be attached to the lanyard I suppose he saw it as part and parcel of his uniform.

DF1E8A05-BBF2-4528-B37E-777DC391ACDA.png

77423C93-35AF-47BA-8A2A-D8D680ED17C4.jpeg

EF98ECCF-19E0-4F1D-9469-23A27DAC1D5B.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

5 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Perhaps a Orilux pocket torch going by the rectangular shape.  Most useful in a dugout and when doing officers rounds of the sentry positions.  The torch itself was shaped to fit a pocket and its leather case to be attached to the Sam Browne belt ancillary equipment, or it could be clipped to a lanyard.
That said, it wasn’t needed for the photo, but as it seems to be attached to the lanyard I suppose he saw it as part and parcel of his uniform.

Thank you for this insight and for the photos.  Informative.

On 22/11/2020 at 17:53, gordon92 said:

Je me demande ce que l'officier sur la photo originale porte dans sa poche de poitrine droite qui est apparemment attachée à la lanière.

Good evening,

this officer may have a whiskey flask or a cigarette case:

DSC_0163.JPG.bcc6681b89fa3982d01ce567b1d74c85.JPG

in the other pocket, the object attached to a cord must be a whistle.

regards

michel

It’s possible that there is a torch, or flask, or cigarette case adjacent to an ‘infantry’ (aka ‘Metropolitan’) Hudson whistle, I agree Michel.  As we cannot see through the pocket it’s impossible to be positive.  I merely made a suggestion based on the shape bulging in his pocket, and what would be practically useful in a trench.  It could be anything of an oblong shape.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 hours ago, battle of loos said:

Good evening,

this officer may have a whiskey flask or a cigarette case:

DSC_0163.JPG.bcc6681b89fa3982d01ce567b1d74c85.JPG

in the other pocket, the object attached to a cord must be a whistle.

regards

michel

Thank you, Michel. The whisky flask is definitely the more interesting option!

1 hour ago, gordon92 said:

Thank you, Michel. The whisky flask is definitely the more interesting option!

Shades of “Journey’s End”.

Surprised no-one invented a whisky-powered torch. That would cover all eventualities.

Only if one could whistle thru it, too ?   B)

Things of such practical significance for living in the field seldom change.  I was just reflecting that in my upper pockets in the early 2000s I still carried a torch, an infantry whistle, a clasp knife (later a multitool) and a hip flask along with a notebook.  Most of my colleagues were the same.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Great comments and some interesting speculation. I love the idea that what is carried never changes! thank you.