Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

info request on memorial/monument?

Guest Celtic75(cdn allies)

Guest Celtic75(cdn allies)

Hi guys.My grandfather served in ww1 with the kings own royal lancs and the machine gun corps.As for my family it is very limited for info.I hear there is a memorial in France with his name on it.He did survive the war! Any ideas on how i could go about finding if this is true and if so where abouts this memorial or monument would be,i would greatly appreciate any help..heres some info

Joseph Connor

kings own royal lancs

machine gun corps

medals;

victory

british war

1914/15 star

croix de guerre

served 1912-1922

Thanks

Drew...

Hi,

I presume he was 10803, Pte. Joseph Connor, Royal Lancaster Regiment who became 18754, Sergeant Joseph Connor, Machine Gun Gun Corps?

Judging from his MGC No. he was 1st Battalion, King's Own and would probably (?) have been in the 12th Machine Gun Company attached to the 12th Brigade in the 4th Division. (I have traced a local casualty, 18734, C.Q.M.S. Jesse Taylor who transferred from the MG Section of the King's Own to the 12th Machine Gun Company).

I cannot imagine what memorial he would be commemorated on in France if he survived the war; certainly if there is one it will not be one maintained by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission. Perhaps this is simply family lore?

He is not mentioned in the Regimental History.

Andy.