Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal research

Tom mac

HI EVERYONE IM TRYING TO FIND MY GRANDADS MEDAL OR MEDALS  HIS NAME WAS JOHN MCKENNA  5870  128th HEAVY BATTERY ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY WW1 IN FRANCE ‘ IVE BEEN TRYING FOR TENS OF YEARS TO FIND THEM IF ANYONE CAN HELP”   ALSO I WOULD LIKE SOME OTHER FAMILY “ DOES ANYONE HEARD OF A GNR .W.J. RATCLIFFE. R.A  I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE THE FAMILY HAPPY ALL BEST

1 hour ago, Tom mac said:

HI EVERYONE IM TRYING TO FIND MY GRANDADS MEDAL OR MEDALS  HIS NAME WAS JOHN MCKENNA  5870  128th HEAVY BATTERY ROYAL GARRISON ARTILLERY WW1 IN FRANCE ‘ IVE BEEN TRYING FOR TENS OF YEARS TO FIND THEM IF ANYONE CAN HELP”

Have you tried posting on the British Medals Forum?

https://britishmedalforum.com 

They have a section/sub-forum for those seeking family medals

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418

DOES ANYONE HEARD OF A GNR .W.J. RATCLIFFE. R.A

This RATCLIFFE enquiry seem potentially a better candidate for his own thread elsewhere on GWF - you are probably likely to get a better response I feel [see also the other note below]

I suggest, in a friendly way, you perhaps edit out of/strikethrough this bit out of your original posting here [use the ... at the top right of your OP and choose 'Edit'] and start again a new thread in 'Soldiers & their Units'.

Have you any other details you can please share too?

Obviously forenames names and numbers do really help - but perhaps also, where he came from, DoB, family etc - if you have them.

Edited by Matlock1418
suggestion

THANKS MATLOCK I WILL ON THAT SITE TO LOOK FOR GRANDADS MEDAL OR MEDALS” AND IM TRYING TO FIND A FAMILY MEMBER OF THE  GNR.W.J .RATCLIFFE.R.A. I GOT A LITTLE COLLECTION BUILT AND WOULD BE FOR A FAMILY MEMBER TO HOLD IT CHEERS

you need a bit more information, like service number or battalion.

three William J Ratcliffe medal cards

William J Ratcliffe   Royal Garrison Artillery  7845, 296719

William J Ratcliffe    Royal Garrison Artillery  115248

William J Ratcliffe    Royal Garrison Artillery  132860

all three were gunners and all entitled to a pair only, so no help there.

Hi Chad I dont know the proper way how to post or reply or search yet some are members are helping me which I’m thankful “ GNR.W.J. RATCLIFFE. R.A  195733  ww1 cheers

22 minutes ago, Tom mac said:

GNR.W.J. RATCLIFFE. R.A  195733

MIC shows up as Wilfred J RATCLIFFE 195733 - Available at the National Archives https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D4788838 [and also at Ancestry/Fold3]

British War Medal & Victory Medal.

When looking for records - often worth also looking for Wilfrid as a common alternative to Wilfred.

Edited by Matlock1418
added link

Hi,

Medal award rolls also shows him as  Christian name spelt WILFRED. Suggest you leave a message in the "Comments Box" on Ancestry MICs. /medal rolls.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

If he is on the findagrave website you could also try adding a comment on his entry.

I believe you can also set up an alert on ebay to be told when any items relating to hhim are for sale.

THANKS TRAVERS61 I FOUND A HEAD AT MEMORIAL IN FRANCE AT POZIERES PANEL 10 BUT NOW THE INFORMATION SAYS MISSING “ SO I NEED TO KNOW IF HES AT THE POZIERES MEMORIAL “ IT WOULD BE GOOD TO FIND OUT WHAT THE 128th HEAVY BATTERY WAS DOING ON THE 25th MARCH 1918 CHEERS

Sorry, you lost me. Are you looking for a mr wilfred or mr ratcliffe?

As for Pozieres, if he is on a panel,  no body has been found or identified. Slim chance he is one of the unknown British soldiers under a headstone but had no I'd on him when found. Being at Pozieres he would have been with the regiment in the area, others are on panels at other big cemeteries such as Loos,  Tyne Cot,  Thiepval, etc

Hi Tom mac,

I FOUND A HEAD AT MEMORIAL IN FRANCE AT POZIERES PANEL 10 BUT NOW THE INFORMATION SAYS MISSING “ SO I NEED TO KNOW IF HES AT THE POZIERES MEMORIAL

Being on the memorial means that he has no known/identifiable grave.

IT WOULD BE GOOD TO FIND OUT WHAT THE 128th HEAVY BATTERY WAS DOING ON THE 25th MARCH 1918 

Spanning the end of part 1, and the start of part 2 of this free download there is a report on operations. You will need to complete a straight forward registration first though before you can get it for free. The form is here.

Regards

Chris

Edited by clk

OH THANKS CLK ITS A SHAME IVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT THIS FOR OVER 50 YEARS  IF I COULD FIND OUT WHAT THE 128 th HEAVY BATTERY  WAS DOING ON THE 25th MARCH 1918 ALSO DO YOU THINK ANYBODY HAS FOUND HIS DOG TAG OR HIS PERSONAL ITEMS IN FRANCE HOW WOULD  HE JUST DISAPPEAR” I THOUGHT THE BIG GUNS WERE FURTHER BACK’ I KNOW I SAY SILLY THINGS BUT ITS SOMETHING THAT EATEN ME UP FOR DECADES ALL THEM BRAVE MEN. IVE GOT OLD WAR BITS AT HOME WHICH I WILL TRY TO GET PHOTOS ON HERE WHEN I WORK OUT HOW TO DO IT IVE GOT A WW1 MEDAL HERE WHICH I WOULD LOVE TO GET BACK TO HIS FAMILY “ IM SURE THEY WOULD BE PLEASED CHEERS

Hi,

The medal index cards on Ancestry are FREE to search. The "Write a Comment" box is top right. As I subscribe to Ancestry I don't know what screen you will get if you search when not a member..so...try it.  When the libraries open they may be able to help.

Regards Barry

15 minutes ago, The Inspector said:

The medal index cards on Ancestry are FREE to search.

And also free to view - you just have to register for free for a free basic account with Ancestry [worth it - as you get a better colour image than the rather poor b/w ones from the National Archives]

Ok I'm on board now with the two men you mention, apologies if this repeats what others have said.

5870 Bdr John McKenna of 128th Heavy Battery RGA

He died 25th March 1918 and is remembered on the Pozieres Memorial, as he has no known grave.  This means that his identifable remains or a marked grave were not found afther the war when a search of the battlefields was made. Many men were actually buried in a grave, but as the ground was fought over & churned up they were not found after the war.  There could be many other reasons. Men had two ID tags (not metal ones), with the idea that one was taken by the man who saw he had died & reported it. But these did not always survive by the time searches were made. As for his kit this could have been lost as well due to the rapidly moving situation & he may have been left behind if withdrawing.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-records/find-war-dead/casualty-details/1584854/JOHN McKENNA/

There will be more info online about him on ancestry etc, as soldiers who died usually have more than those who survived.

Here are two links to the German Spring Offensive which started on 21st March 1918, lasting 16 days & in which they captured 1200 sq miles of allied held territory, and would be the battle your grandad fought in.  Many units behind the lines such as Heavy RGA Batteries were overrun or had to retreat. Most units that withdrew then took up alternative positions to try & stem the german advance. Such was the confusion & retreat/rapid withdrawal to other defended positions that CWGC says "The Commission commemorates almost 37,000 service personnel who died in France during Operation Michael. More than 23,000 have no known grave and are commemorated on CWGC memorials to the missing". I had a family friend whose father was serving with the Royal Field Artillery, and during the retreat he was injured when a gun carriage ran over his leg.

https://www.cwgc.org/our-work/news/9-facts-about-operation-michael/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Michael

and:

195733 Ratciffe, Wilfred J. Royal Garrison Artillery

You have one or two medals for this man & would like to return them to his family. His medal index card shows was awarded the British War Medal & Victory Medal and almost certainly did not serve in a Theatre of war before 1st Jan 1916.

Travers

I am sorry, I think you mis-read his answer

He said "Ok I'm on board now" , which means:-

Definition of take (something) on board
: to decide to accept or deal with (something, such as a suggestion or idea) You will be pleased to note that we have taken your suggestions on board in formulating the present policy.

So he now understands what you mean.

Not "bored" - feeling weary and impatient because one is unoccupied or lacks interest in one's current activity.

Robert

• Admin

Can we please respect other members as per the forum rules. As rksimpson has said, a misunderstanding.