Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Wounded Records (Served from 1898 to 1919)

Dazscuba

Hi I am looking at Pte 5788 George Amose Taylor

East Yorks Reg who had a long career on and off from 1898 through till 1919. He served in a number of regiments  from EYR, KOYLI, ASC and lastly EYR, some of these whole serving some while in reserves. 
He has 3 service records and 2 pension records on Ancestry and in these it shows he gained frostbite in Feb 1915 while serving in France for just over a month. Can anybody please tell me where I can find the ref (WO12222) please and what it contains?

He lived in Hull from 1917 to 1919 when i

his pension was issued but I cannot for the life of me find out when he died. If anybody could assist with this It would be greatly appreciated.

ancestry.co.uk 

4BA28BE4-9CEE-45E0-8B9A-3C38B962DEB4.jpeg.8555bf2c92233ba8ab54af275e625749.jpeg

This may be a War Office Casualty List.

Just a guess-I'm semi-literate and my own handwriting is a problem,let alone that of anyone else:

I read the annotation as a reference to  the record series WO122- which is the records of the Royal Hospital, Chelsea. As these contain (or contained) substantial amounts of pension records,it may be a reference to them. There is a chunk of this stuff on FindMyPast- Have you run his name through it's Royal Hospital stuff????

That’s new to me where will I find “The Royal hospital stuff” please? 

Try searching for record sets on FMP-  I may be leading you astray with Chelsea- the relevant WO122 series on FMP is below.   

(It may be that the WO 122 ref. is just something that had been noted/put in that man's service file-In which case it runs the hazard of "burnt docs" like the rest of the.  Good luck!!

image.png.d7d99385931ecb0a2d952f533b2c015e.png

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, scotchmick said:

Scottish rifles

Sorry don’t understand ???

I doubt that TNA series WO122 existed as such in 1915. WO Casualty List is sort of possible except it's frostbite not an injury.

Best guess from me is some internal WO ref to correspondence relating to his frostbite 'sickness' and/or the ensuing pension. It could be an early ref regarding his evacuation in 1915, perhaps a list number akin to the 'Sick and Wounded' lists in the topic below which would include men suffering with frostbite.

TEW

11 minutes ago, TEW said:

I doubt that TNA series WO122 existed as such in 1915. WO Casualty List is sort of possible except it's frostbite not an injury.

Best guess from me is some internal WO ref to correspondence relating to his frostbite 'sickness' and/or the ensuing pension. It could be an early ref regarding his evacuation in 1915, perhaps a list number akin to the 'Sick and Wounded' lists in the topic below which would include men suffering with frostbite.

TEW

I think that casualty returns would include all those evacuated, including those rendered as “ineffectives” because of frost bite.  The procedure for compiling casualty returns has changed little and that’s certainly how they’re done in my experience.  I imagine that’s probably what the quoted list comprises.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Agree, although the lists in the 'Sick & Wounded' topic are for men admitted, discharged, died, recovering from sickness or wounds. Those lists may be the precursor for the official WO Casualty Lists but only for those that matched the criteria.

I find the term 'Casualty List' causes complication on forum as there are lists compiled weekly at battalion level sometimes refered to as casualty lists. Then the Sick & Wounded lists ( in a topic titled 'Casualty Lists'. Then the WO Official Casualty Lists.

TEW

Yes I can see where the confusion might lie.  Semantics it seems.  The weekly reports sound more like strength returns.  Do we know for sure what WO 12222 constitutes?  

For sure?, I'd say no. Looking closer at his records I'd say 95% certain that he was on a Sick and Wounded list No. 12222 which should be dateable to circa Feb 15. The WO prefix is a little odd as the S/W lists tend to be lists telegramed etc. to regional record offices from France. Don't think I've seen WO prefixed lists in the topic. Although maybe a clerk saw all the list types as being WO lists. There are lists with no prefix.

Late edit; just seen a no prefix list No. 29599 dated July 1915 so that's quite a jump from Feb 15. 12222 doesn't seem to tie into other dates for HA or HB prefix lists.

Perhaps I'll reduce the %!

TEW

His WO 364 Pension Record on Ancestry is clearer. I can only assume it is a War Office regulation on how to define cases, perhaps those who should be medically evacuated. 

Brian

MIUK1914A_118540-00766.jpg

Thanks gent for all the info although blown my head a little lol. 
always very helpful thanks 

3 hours ago, TEW said:

Agree, although the lists in the 'Sick & Wounded' topic are for men admitted, discharged, died, recovering from sickness or wounds. Those lists may be the precursor for the official WO Casualty Lists but only for those that matched the criteria.

I find the term 'Casualty List' causes complication on forum as there are lists compiled weekly at battalion level sometimes refered to as casualty lists. Then the Sick & Wounded lists ( in a topic titled 'Casualty Lists'. Then the WO Official Casualty Lists.

TEW

Yes, I can see that it’s still far from clear.  I guess until someone accesses the reference itself....

18 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

His WO 364 Pension Record on Ancestry is clearer. I can only assume it is a War Office regulation on how to define cases, perhaps those who should be medically evacuated. 

Brian

It would seem odd to be anything other than a specific reference to frostbite casualties at that time.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Frogsmile

I meant Frostbite cases (but forgot to make it clear). Apologies

Brian

Shame the precise date is not shown as he arrived back in the UK 25/2/1915. He was discharged ToE in December, had 3 months off and was then conscripted.

TEW

59 minutes ago, brianmorris547 said:

Frogsmile

I meant Frostbite cases (but forgot to make it clear). Apologies

Brian

No problem Brian, it makes sense.  The winter of 1915 was a terrible one and frostbite was quite endemic in some units.  If I were a betting man I’d wager that he was pretty much worn out by 1918 and probably succumbed to Spanish Flu in 1919, although that is of course pure conjecture.

55 minutes ago, TEW said:

Shame the precise date is not shown as he arrived back in the UK 25/2/1915. He was discharged ToE in December, had 3 months off and was then conscripted.

TEW

Yes, and it looks as if he remained employed on the home establishment, probably with one of the reserve battalions.

Edited by FROGSMILE