Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Isaac Rosenberg ‘Night & Day’

Dust Jacket Collector

I thought I’d bring this to the attention of fellow members knowing them to be among the world’s more well-heeled.

Christies are holding a general book auction on the 9th December which includes a small but impressive group of WW1 Poetry books. The outstanding item for me is a copy of the poet Isaac Rosenberg’s first poetry collection ‘Night & Day’, privately printed for him in 1912. There are only 5 or 6 copies known to have survived from the original 50 that were printed & all were thought to have been in library collections. I’m not aware of any copy coming to auction for many decades. I’d always thought I’d give my eye teeth for one but sadly those teeth won’t run to the £20,000 they’re expecting!

29 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

teeth won’t run to the £20,000 they’re expecting!

Kidney?

There was a book collector featured on ABE a while back who stated that the book he would most like to own was Rosenberg's "Night and Day".  I do hope Christies didn't notice and raise their estimate from the previous £30-£50 that they had on it :D

I rather doubt it’ll get anywhere near 20 grand but as the lower estimate is £17000 it’ll probably be unsold. That’s where my £100 offer might just be too tempting for them to resist.

32 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

That’s where my £100 offer might just be too tempting for them to resist.

And you will be wanting the Tesco Clubcard points as well!! Look on the bright side- Christies can only you out once.

• 3 weeks later...

It just sold for a little over £25,000 including commission (not to me). Remarkable!

41 minutes ago, IPT said:

I needed something to prop under a wonky table.

It’s such a thin pamphlet I’m not sure it’ll be much help.

45 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

It’s such a thin pamphlet I’m not sure it’ll be much help.

As they say elsewhere, size isn't everything. 

2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

As they say elsewhere, size isn't everything. 

Most of the other WW1 poetry in the sale seemed to be bought by the same dealer so I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t reappear at nearer to £50,000.

2 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

Most of the other WW1 poetry in the sale seemed to be bought by the same dealer so I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t reappear at nearer to £50,000.

Dare we ask who?

9 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Dare we ask who?

All you could hear was the same paddle number but Harrington’s would be my first guess.

36 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

All you could hear was the same paddle number but Harrington’s would be my first guess.

Ah, the joys of piddle badding.  I am sure you will notice where they turn up- Perhaps second thoughts will prevail and you will be happy to spend  tiwce as much as the hammer+ commission price.  Alas, it shows there are some very wealthy collectors out there.

I thought book prices were pretty reasonable in the Fulham Road-oh, hang on-that was the Trinity Hospice charity shop.........