Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TOM DONOVAN "IN MEMORIAM" : ADDITIONS

Just looking through a newly arrived copy of Tom Donovan's excellent "In Memoriam" and coincidentally stumbled on something while looking up something for another thread.

A peruse of the British Library catalogue throws up these 2 memorial volumes, not seemingly in TD's listing.  (This not a shorcoming-bibliography is always the art of looking for the yeti, the Loch Ness Monster or the one that got away)

Charles Gordon Jelf. Born June 8, 1886. Killed in action October 13, 1915. [Letters, with an introduction and a portrait.]

Author

·         JELF, Charles Gordon.

Published

[Oxford?] : Printed for private circulation, 1915.

-73 pages ; (8º)

GWF colleague  Barkalotloudly (John- always "Woof" to me) reported obtaining a copy of this on GWF in 2009 but that thread is now archived.

Lays of the Hertfordshire Hunt, and other poems. (Second edition.) [With a memoir of the author by his sister, a preface by the Earl of Cavan and lists of followers of the Hunt killed or serving in the war, 1914-1915.]

Author

·         ROBINS, George Upton.

Published

London : A. L. Humphreys, 1916.
112 pages ; (8º)

George Robins, KIA at Hill 60. He appears to be the author of an earlier version of this book- Lays of the Hertfordshire Hunt- published in 1912. It seems to have been reissued with a memoir at the instance of his sister. There is  an interesting piece about him at:

Captain George Upton Robins - Wheathampstead Heritage Trail

[It was an informative letter by his sister, published online above, that I was looking for- recounting travelling to Ypres to find her brother's grave while the old front line was still a mess]

Might I suggest that other additions be posted here?

Edited by Guest

Not being a collector of them i don't have Tom's book ( saw one go for a reasonable £20 + on e-bay a few days ago ) . But DJC said that this one

wasn't in it - ' Alex Noel Hepburne-Scott 1892-1915 : letters to his mother and a few others ' privately printed for private circulation 1919 . Paper

covers ( with A.U.S printed on the front ) 167pp,  frontispiece, 5 plates . He served in the London Scottish and as an officer in the Scots Guards 

and was killed in May 1915 .

1 hour ago, Black Maria said:

Well done !

Not really-I am 40 years too late to start collecting them-alas. I suspect the one I got is Bob Wyatt's copy as a number of the entries have been ticked in pencil.

Now then-  a little trawl of the National Library of Scotland and the British Library throws up a few more contenders for an "Addenda"

From the National Library of Scotland:

Memoir : Lieutenant-Colonel John Collier Stormonth Darling, D.S.O., the Cameronians, born 9th February 1878, killed in action near Le Transloy, France, 1st November, 1916 while commanding the 9th Batt. H.L.I. (the Glasgow Highlanders).

Kilmarnock : Standard Press, 1923

description

59 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.

From the British Library:

Nigel Cornwallis Madan ... Killed in action ... March 2, 1916. [Obituaries.]

·         Author: Nigel Cornwallis MADAN

·         Publication Details: Oxford : Privately published, 1916.

·         Language: English

·         Identifier: System number: 002335127

·         Physical Description: 7 pages ; (8º)

·         Obsolete shelfmark: 1878.d.12.(44.)

·         Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 74/1878.d.12.(44.)

W. H. Stuart Garnett, Lieutenant-Commander R.N.R. and Lieutenant Royal Flying Corps, accidentally killed 21st Sept.,1916.

·         Publication Details: [Great Britain] : [s.n.], [1917?]

·         Identifier: System number: 008588056

·         Related Titles: Toynbee record.

·         Notes: Reprinted from the Toynbee record, December 1916.

·         Physical Description: [8]p. : port. ; 23cm.

·              

·         Possibly an offprint, rather than a separately published work- We will have to wait post-COVID to see the BL copy

·       

Capt. Harold Bolingbroke Mudie, President, British Esperanto Association ... born January 30, 1880, accidentally killed in France ... January 6, 1916. (An appreciation.)

·         Author: Harld Bolingbroke MUDIE

·         Subjects: Esperantists -- Great Britain -- Biography

·         Publication Details: Letchworth : Garden City Press, [1916]

·         Identifier: System number: 002572457

·         Notes: Language note: Text in English and Esperanto.

·         Physical Description: 7 pages ; (8º)

·         Mudie has CWGC treatment- he was a Remount Depot officer

In Memoriam. William Charles Mayo, B.A. ... Lieutenant in the 9th (Service) Battalion of the Notts and Derby Regiment ... Killed in action near Suvla Bay ... August 9th, 1915. [With illustrations.]

·         : Charles Herbert MAYO

·         Contributor: William Charles MAYO

·         Publication Details: Sherborne : Privately printed, 1916.

·         Identifier: System number: 002438176

·         Physical Description: (8º)

·         Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection 010854.de.58.

Letters from Philip Anthony Brown to his mother, August 26th to November 1915

·         Philip Anthony Brown, 1886-1915.

·         Publication Details: [Oxford?, 1916?]

·         Identifier: System number: 000495336

·         Related Titles: (Uk)MP1.0000524395.0.1

·         Notes: For private circulation.
Part title: Letters from Philip Anthony Brown to his mother, August 26th to November 3rd, 1915. (British Expeditionary Force, France.)

·         Physical Description: 45 p. ; 17 cm.

·         Shelfmark(s): General Reference Collection X.808/10324.

·          13th Durham Light Infantry.  There is a shorter account of him ,by Gilbert Murray, published as a Preface to  Brown’s “French Revolution in English History”-published posthumously. Brown was an up and coming historian. The account of his death is here:

image.png.8e9accab45c4ce400c7d8449882151cf.png

I have a few not in the bibliography. I’ll make a list later. Tom was always planning to produce an addendum but sadly dissolved his press a couple of years ago. Shame as he was planning a 4 volume bibliography series on War memoirs.

14 minutes ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I have a few not in the bibliography. I’ll make a list later. Tom was always planning to produce an addendum but sadly dissolved his press a couple of years ago. Shame as he was planning a 4 volume bibliography series on War memoirs.

Good Ho!!  More the merrier. I had not realised the TD was dissolved- He did a book fair at the Royal National a few years back to plug some very well produced editions of Great War stuff.

A trawl of the library catalogue of TCD threw up the following candidates- with the details from CWGC attached. I think there may be a small herd of the little critters out there

Author

Adam, Arthur Innes, 1894-1916.

Title

Arthur Innes Adam, 1894-1916 : A record founded on his letters / by Adela Marion Adam.

Publisher

Cambridge [Eng.] : Bowes & Bowes, 1920.

Description

253p. ; 20cm.

CAPTAIN ARTHUR INNES ADAM

Regiment & Unit/Ship

Cambridgeshire Regiment

"A" Coy. 1st Bn.

Date of Death

Died 16 September 1916

Age 22 years old

Author

Brandt, Druce Robert, b. 1887.

Title

D.R. Brandt : some of his letters / edited by Charles Clay , with an introductory chapter by Ralph Furse.

Publisher

London : John Murray, 1920 (London : William Clowes)

Description

xxiv, 151 p., [1] leaf of plates : port ; 21 cm

LIEUTENANT DRUCE ROBERT BRANDT

Regiment & Unit/Ship

Rifle Brigade

1st Bn.

Date of Death

Died 06 July 1915

Author

Geare, William Duncan, 1890-1917.

Title

Letters of an army chaplain, the Rev. William Duncan Geare ...

Publisher

London : W. Gardner, Darton & Co., Ltd. [1918]

Description

3 p. l., 93 p. : front. (port.) ; 19 cm.

CHAPLAIN 4TH CLASSThe Rev. WILLIAM DUNCAN GEARE

Regiment & Unit/Ship

Army Chaplains' Department

Date of Death

Died 31 July 1917

Age 26 years old

Author

Hewett, Stephen Henry, 1893-1916.

Title

A scholar's letters from the front, written by Stephen H. Hewett ... with an introduction by F. F. Urquhart.

Publisher

London : 1918.

Description

xvii, [1], 114 p. incl. facsim. front. (port.) 19 cm.

SECOND LIEUTENANT STEPHEN HENRY PHILIP HEWETT

Regiment & Unit/Ship

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

19th Bn. attd. 14th Bn.

Date of Death

Died 22 July 1916

Age 23 years old

Author

Heath, Arthur George.

Title

Letters ... / with memoir by Gilbert Murray.

Publisher

Oxford, 1917.

Description

8vo.

LIEUTENANT ARTHUR GEORGE HEATH

Regiment & Unit/Ship

Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment)

6th Bn.

Date of Death

Died 08 October 1915

Mea Culpa-'twas I

Here are a few of mine not in Donovan :-

Geoffrey Henry Cadwallader Adams. Privately printed 1917. A memoir.

2nd Lt. 3/4th Suffolk’s. KIA All Saints Day 1916

Frank Buggs : Memoirs of a Young Brother. Priv.Pr.1943. Letters from the front. Rifleman 16th London. KIA 7th September 1916

Lt.Col. James Chadwick. Priv.Pr. 1922. 24th Manchesters. (Can’t find it at the moment).

Henry Doughty : An actor Soldier. Hutchinson 1926. Letters from the front. Lt., Horse Transport RASC Died in service 22nd Nov. 1922

Rev. Arthur Percival Hatfield. Priv.Pr. nd. Wartime diary. Chaplain KIA Mesopotamia. 9th July 1918

Albert Edward George Keppel. Priv.Pr.1919. Letters from the front. Lt., 2nd Rifle Brigade. KIA July 31st 1917

Rev. W. H. Norman. Priv.Pr. nd. Letters. Sergeant RAMC

William Henry Ratcliffe. Priv.Pr.1916. Biography. 2nd Lt., 1st South Staffs. KIA 1st day on the Somme.

Hugh John Sladen Shields. Priv.Pr. 1914. Diary from the front. Lt., RAMC. KIA Oct. 26th 1914

Nicholas Todd. Poems & Plays with a brief biography. Jackson & Sons 1917. Rifleman, Queens Westminsters. KIA Oct. 7th 1916