Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Graves on the Baghdad Railway

stevenbecker

Mates,

On checking some site I notice the names listed as buried on the Baghdad Railway?

There are no dates and as the Railway went from 1903 to around 1940 where these graves from Germans during all that peroid?

They are all listed on one monument shown as

listed of buried at the German cemetery of Çamalan and Tarsus and Mersin Province

I could not find there names on the Verlustlisten 1. Weltkrieg, so possibly all civilian workers?

Ager Gerhard
Buisman Richard
Chmel Markus
Hammerle Helmut
Hitsch Gunter
Kogler Eduard
Kunzig Dieter
Mahne Wolfgang
Schidinger Suren
Sichart Michael
Steinberger Marius
Weber Johnann
Früwis Norbert
Gruber Alexander
Hartmann Harald
Kasper Hannes
Liender Werner
Nendorfer Oskar
Pichler Burkhard
Rainer Konrad
Sacher Alfred
Schandi Roland
Schmid Markus
Valent Singer
Walt Hans-Jorg
Beer Fritz
Dull Peter
Meras Bernd
Siegl Hans
Essl Gerd
Horvath Karl
Kaser Anton
Stolle Bernt
Suitner Horst
Kneisl Franz
Hofler Ernst 
Binder Marco
Bayer Walter
Sekyra Franz
Kress Armin
Banak Thomas

Any ideas?

S.B

In the group of photos within the link

https://www.flickr.com/photos/50074978@N06/sets/72157626048039691/

there is a monument to 3 German staff of the Baghdad Railway who died in 1917, who seemed to be in the German  Army, buried at Belemedik.

A photograph of Belemedik

https://www.flickr.com/photos/39631091@N03/6932593819/in/album-72157622412214804/

contains descriptive text which says  "In the eight years of construction in the area 41 German citizens people lost their lives (accidents, slides and diseases)"

There were also Allied prisoners of war who mainly died of  Malaria and Typhus. 

In addition, it appears only working prisoners were provided with food.  

1 hour ago, Maureene said:

There were also Allied prisoners of war who mainly died of  Malaria and Typhus. 

In addition, it appears only working prisoners were provided with food.  

But they would surely all have been recovered by the CWGC postwar and reburied at Baghdad ? (those for whom a burial location was identified)

charlie

7 hours ago, charlie962 said:

But they would surely all have been recovered by the CWGC postwar and reburied at Baghdad ? (those for whom a burial location was identified)

charlie

Yes, I was talking about  Allied prisoners of war who had died, not about their  remaining graves.

Mates,

Thank you now makes more sence.

Holger

Interesting site I have not been able to get into before. I still can't find a list of graves of Germans buried in Iraq (mesopotania), Only a few names in the North Gate Cemetery?

Charlie,

Yes mate thats the lists on a Monument I saw, thank you as I now known the spelling of all the names.

Maureene

Thank you the names are interesting. yes I have many years ago looked at my Camel Corps and Light Horse soldiers who ended up there, and got buried in Baghdad

I had them as, so nice to find out more on them possibly all were in the Eisenbahnbau ;

Grosse or Großo Arno    Unteroffizier    unknown (not identified)     1916-17    (born 1889 died 2-7-17) grave in German war cemetery at Tarabya Istanbul cause not stated? nicht auf großen Gedenktafeln (not identified)? 

Nahler Franz    Pnr    unknown (not identified)?    1917-    (born 1878 died 28-5-17) grave in German war cemetery at Tarabya Istanbul cause not stated? nicht auf großen Gedenktafeln (not identified)? 

Hartmaier Heinrich    Unteroffizier    unknown (unit not stated)     1917-     (1892 at Tübingen possibly DoW 13-8-17) leicht verwundet (minor wound) WIA 1917? grave in German war cemetery at Tarabya Istanbul nicht auf großen Gedenktafeln possibly reported by von Sanders lost five men killed in one of the actions against these deserters near his HQ vicinity of Panderma

Thats why a list of German graves in Iraq would be interesting to confirm the many Germans who died there fighting with the Turks.

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

7 hours ago, stevebecker said:

I still can't find a list of graves of Germans buried in Iraq (mesopotania), Only a few names in the North Gate Cemetery?

In the German Federal Archive in Berlin Lichterfelde, exists a File R1001/ 6711 from 1934

With German graves in foreign countries (outside Europe). I have ordered this and other files.

Should be also include Irak / Mesopotamia. I come back to you if I receive these.

Cheers Holger