Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

In Freedoms Cause Memento

DoubleD

Just posting this out of curiosity, so not too sure which section of the forum is appropriate.

Going through a box containing some effects of my wife's grandfather. He was Sapper Cecil Goodwin, Royal Engineers, from Edinburgh and he survived the war.

Found this small memento in the box, it's 4.5" x 3" (115 x 75mm).

5805 Cpl Samuel Lyndon, 7th Bn Royal Fusiliers. Born in Sheffield, but the family had moved to London before he enlisted. KIA 27 August 1918, buried in Warlencourt British Cemetery. Husband of Laura Wells (formerly Lyndon) of 15 Linom Road, Clapham, London.

No connection that I can find to the Goodwin family, so I'm assuming he was a chum of Cecil's.

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Was it produced by his Regiment? Would there have been some sort of memorial ceremony for Samuel, or were these maybe sent to friends and family?

Maybe Samuel Lyndon means something to someone on the forum?

Lots of question marks in this post but grateful for any information,

Dave

IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

Husband of Laura Wells (formerly Lyndon) of 15 Linom Road, Clapham, London.

An interesting item - thanks for posting.

From pension records at WFA/Fold3 his widow, as Laura Lyndon, b.26.9.1893, had two other addresses

81 Queens Road, Twickenham and Seaview, Brougham Rd., Worthing

:-) M

Edited by Matlock1418
added widow's DoB

A poignant piece, thanks for sharing.

I have a silk bookmark to a chap that was killed in action, these were often kept in the family bible....back then I suppose travelling to a foreign country to visit the grave was financially out of preach for most families, so having these privately printed mementoes were a permanent and precious memorial.

Dave.

Thanks for your replies M & Dave.

As you both say an interesting and poignant item. I don't have any personal connection to Samuel Lyndon, but I'll take good care of it in his memory.

Dave