Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Entries in the Soldiers Died series of books

Guest Tony C

Hi all,

First post so hi to everyone!

I am trying to find information on 2 Great Uncles that were killed during 1916.

I have a little information on both but having recently received copies of the relevent Soldiers Died in the Great War 1914-19 books, one does not appear in the listings.

On the CWGC website, he is listed as being killed on 01 July 1916, during the Somme offensive. He is listed in 'The Die-hards in the Great War" book, the history of the Middlesex Regiment but does not appear in the Soldiers Died book for the Middlesex Regiment.

Can anybody shed any light as to why?

He was a Second Leiutenant at the time of his death so is it possible that the Solders Died series only lists ranks below Officers, as his brother who died in October of the same year, does appear in The Cameronians (Scottish Rifles) issue!

If this is true, is there a series similar to the Soldiers Died for Officers?

TIA

Tony

Hi Tony

Welcome to the forum.

Officers do not appear in Soldiers Died but there is an offices varsion. I and others have the CD ROM which includes both. If you can post your Great Uncle's name then I or someone else with look him up.

Annette

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the information, the names are...

Anthony Gerald Chambers (2nd Leiutenant 4th Middlesex)

Victor Leetham Chambers (Private The Cameronians Scottish Rifles)

Both my Grandfathers also served in the RA during the Great War and I have a few questions regarding them but will leave these questions to another post.

Thanks again,

Tony

Anthony Gerald and Victor Leetham were the 4th and 5th sons of the late Doctor Anthony Bernard Chambers and Julia nee Leetham of Barmby House, Brayton Rd, Selby, York.

Anthony was born on the 12th March 1895 in Long Eaton, Notts, he was educated at Mount St Mary's College, Chesterfield. He was employed on the staff of the "The Standard": joined the public Schools Bn in September 1914, gazetted 2nd Lieut 6th Bn Middx Reg on 9th May 1915: went to France on 29th May 1916 and was KIA on The Somme on 1st July 1916.

Victor was born on the 28th June 1897 in Long Eaton, Notts, he was educated at Mount St Mary's College, Chesterfield. He was employed at the York branch of the London City and Midland Bank: enlisted 1st February 1915: went to France on 12th November 1915 and was WIA Delville Wood on 17th July 1916 and died of his wounds in a Glasgow Hospital on 1st October 1916.

Source: De Ruvigny

Tony

Officers were listed in 'Officers Died in the Great War' - a separate printed volume - although this is included on the SDGW CD.

Tony.

Just in case you'd prefer to see the "hardcopy" version of your Gt.Uncle's name in "Officers Died".....

post-1-1109461302.jpg

:D Dave , going off at a slight tangent . Is it still possible to get hold of a hard back copy of 'officers died in the great war' for the Middlesex regiment ? If so would you know whereabouts i would be able to get hold of a copy ?

Many thanks ,

Steve .

Anthony Gerald and Victor Leetham were the 4th and 5th sons of the late Doctor Anthony Bernard Chambers and Julia nee Leetham of Barmby House, Brayton Rd, Selby, York.

Anthony was born on the 12th March 1895 in Long Eaton, Notts, he was educated at Mount St Mary's College, Chesterfield. He was employed on the staff of the "The Standard": joined the public Schools Bn in September 1914, gazetted 2nd Lieut 6th Bn Middx Reg on 9th May 1915: went to France on 29th May 1916 and was KIA on The Somme on 1st July 1916.

Victor was born on the 28th June 1897 in Long Eaton, Notts, he was educated at Mount St Mary's College, Chesterfield. He was employed at the York branch of the London City and Midland Bank: enlisted 1st February 1915: went to France on  12th November 1915 and was WIA Delville Wood on 17th July 1916 and died of his wounds in a Glasgow Hospital on 1st October 1916.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the information, this is far more than I had been able to gather myself partictularly about Victor, as I knew that he had died in the UK and had assumed that he had been wounded whilst training.

I see that you list De Ruvigny as the source but this means very little to me, is it possible for you to expand further on this information!

I also note that you say that AGC was with the 6th Btn but other information states the 4th, I guess that he would have been transferred?

I am also aware of my Great Grandparents and it maybe of interest to you, to know that Antony (*) Bernard was a Surgeon-Lieutenant with the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters although I haven't yet looked into his Service or where he served!

(*) The correct spelling is Antony although a few of his medical certificates also list it as Anthony

Tony

PS, I have just reread your post and note that you say 4th and 5th sons........

I am only aware of Raymond (believed to have served in the Rhodesian Police), Joseph (my Grandfather), Anthony Gerald and Victor Leetham so who is the 5th?

Annette and Terry,

I see that you both have mentioned the SDGW CD, is this something that is readily available to the public?

Blimey, I wish that I had found this 'site earlier, its a real wealth of information :)

Is anybody aware of a similar 'site which deals with World War 2, as both my parents served during this conflict and I would eventually like to look into this area as well?

Thanks, Tony

Tony

SDGW CD is available to those with the cash (£334.88). It is produced and sold by Naval & Military Press.

You can order online here... Click on 'CD' at the top.

http://www.naval-military-press.com/FMPro?...ameset.htm&-new

You can also see the cost of copies of the reprint of De Ruvigny's Roll of Honour at N&M

There is a similar WW2 Forum here

http://www.wwiiforum.com/

SDGW CD is available to those with the cash (£334.88).
:blink:

How much, I was lucky, I got my copy for only £150 :huh: still not cheap but when you think of all that info. it is cheap.

Annette

Is it still possible to get hold of a hard back copy of 'officers died in the great war' for the Middlesex regiment ? If so would you know whereabouts i would be able to get hold of a copy ?

Yes, but it's not just for the Middlesex regiment. "Officers Died..." encompasses the whole army in one book. It has been re-printed several times (my copy is a 1988 reprint that cost £18 new), even into the 2000's. I think it may be available from the N&MP, but I'd presume that it's pretty common on the second hand market and should be found pretty cheaply (for less than £20 certainly).

Dave.

Victor was born on the 28th June 1897 in Long Eaton, Notts, he was educated at Mount St Mary's College, Chesterfield. He was employed at the York branch of the London City and Midland Bank: enlisted 1st February 1915: went to France on  12th November 1915 and was WIA Delville Wood on 17th July 1916 and died of his wounds in a Glasgow Hospital on 1st October 1916.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the information, this is far more than I had been able to gather myself partictularly about Victor, as I knew that he had died in the UK and had assumed that he had been wounded whilst training.

I see that you list De Ruvigny as the source but this means very little to me, is it possible for you to expand further on this information!

I also note that you say that AGC was with the 6th Btn but other information states the 4th, I guess that he would have been transferred?

I am also aware of my Great Grandparents and it maybe of interest to you, to know that Antony (*) Bernard was a Surgeon-Lieutenant with the 1st Volunteer Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters although I haven't yet looked into his Service or where he served!

(*) The correct spelling is Antony although a few of his medical certificates also list it as Anthony

Tony

PS, I have just reread your post and note that you say 4th and 5th sons........

I am only aware of Raymond (believed to have served in the Rhodesian Police), Joseph (my Grandfather), Anthony Gerald and Victor Leetham so who is the 5th?

The 1891 Census has Antony Chambers and Julia Chambers living at Derby Rd, Long eaton with two sons Bernard Nolan aged 2 years and Douglas aged 10 months.

The 1901 Census has Antony Chambers and Julia Chambers living at 26 Sawley Rd, Long Eaton with four sons Bernard Nolan aged 12 years, Raymond aged 9, Gerald aged 6 and Victor aged 3.

There is a daughter Ileene aged 7.

Douglas was at boarding school in Somerset.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the info, Bernard Nolan is totally unknown to either my father and his brothers.

Oh well, it looks like I will have to take to plunge and start using the National Archives Online.

Tony