Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

440 Siege Battery, Palestine

Sjack91

Good evening

I am researching my Great Uncle who served in Palestine with the 440th Siege Battery, RGA. I had found and older post which states that the 440th was made up of four 6" Howitzer guns. It also said that they served in Palestine under 96th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG), RGA. All the details from the post tie in with the service records for my great uncle but I am trying to determine where he was in Palestine. The original post states that;

’The battery left Southampton for Havre, France on 24 Sept 1917. It proceeded through France and Italy reaching Taranto on 27 Sept 1917. On 20 Oct 1917 it sailed with all guns and stores for Alexandria, reaching there on 24 Oct. On 27 Oct 1917 it was at Kantara. 980th Motor Transport Company, ASC was attached to the 96th HAG on the next day. The Battery took part in the Battle of Beersheba on 31 October 1917 while attached to the 53rd Division. During November 1917 it was engaged near Wadi Hanafish and Karm. During December it fought around Jerusalem and in January was in position near Bireh. From February through June the Battery fired from various positions in Palestine which are only indicated by map coordinates. On 26 June 1918 the Battery went into rest camp near Ain Sinia.

Regards, Dick Flory’

i am wondering if a war diary exists? Or if anything can be added from the statement above to give me a better understanding about his life as a gunner. I was not aware he was there until recently and it has got me very excited as this is a theatre of War I enjoy learning about.

regards

Stuart 

Thanks for getting back Alf. It’s good to know that one survives but the chance of getting from Glasgow to London anytime soon is slim. I will drop them an email and see if they can help me out. Thanks for the response. I appreciate you taking the time. 

Stuart

This will have to be checked against the WDs, however, carrying on from Dick Flory's information (which as quoted above, goes up to June 1918) and using Farndale's 'The Forgotten Fronts & Home Base';

for the final phase ie 'Megiddo' beginning 19th September 1918, 440 Siege Battery were with 102nd Brigade RGA and in general terms, on the western coastal plain with the 60th Division and later with the 7th Indian Division for the advance to Beirut.

Good morning,

I am wondering if anyone can assist with the two places where in November 1917 it was reported from the original post that they were engaged near to Wadi Hanafish and Karm? Looking at ‘The Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force’ it appears that after the Battle of Beersheba the 96th do not move far from the town. They move after the 30th of November and by the 2nd of December they are under 15miles west of Jerusalem. I have attached the map but would anyone be able to mark where Wadi Hanafish and Karm are?

Thanks Stuart

2070040E-C844-4588-B2F4-173B972F42EE.jpeg

3 hours ago, Sjack91 said:

it was reported from the original post that they were engaged near to Wadi Hanafish

1799982116_MapWadiHanafishPt630crop.jpg.360627bf68b716ca5f70bd90e4ccca1b.jpg

The wadi which you are looking for is just above the 'B' at the begining of Beersheba

I believe that Karm was the raildhead seen nearby

Edited by michaeldr

Stuart:  I have a digital copy of the war diary of 440th Siege Battery, RGA from Sept 1917 to June 1919 (65 images).  Please contact me by PM if I can be of assistance.

Dick Flory

On 17/11/2020 at 14:58, michaeldr said:

1799982116_MapWadiHanafishPt630crop.jpg.360627bf68b716ca5f70bd90e4ccca1b.jpg

The wadi which you are looking for is just above the 'B' at the begining of Beersheba

I believe that Karm was the raildhead seen nearby

Stuart,

Wadi Hanafish is called today Nachal Ofakim, just next to today's town, Ofakim. 

I marked the Wadi on the right. Karm is in the circle. 

For orientation, I marked Wadi Shellal on the left.  

Ofakim.jpg.6ee5e8cebe710e92a5a35437575b6152.jpg

I can help with the other locations where the battery was, if you need.

Eran

• 1 year later...

It has recently become available via the new Army Museums Ogilby Trust site:

"Search | The Ogilby Muster" https://www.theogilbymuster.com/search/results#/?query="440th siege"&page=1&type=flex&sort=Regimental_Collection asc&filterBy=Regimental_Collection,"Royal Artillery Museum"&spellCheck=true&recordView=3970823

Charlie 

Starts 24/9/17 and continues to 3/1919.