Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Underground City of Naours, France.

Paul in the Somme

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3fe.jpg.11d41b457ae4bd9de4484675644046ae.jpgThis is a photograph I took in the Underground City of Naours in the Somme. The Underground City was built by the villagers as a refuge from marauding armies during the 15th century. During WW1 it became a tourist attraction for soldiers back from the front lines. Several thousand soldiers wrote their names on the walls during WW1. Some left their names only, others left their name, service number, home address and even their mother's names; they clearly wanted to communicate with future visitors.

I have identified some of these soldiers and the greatest honour is to visit the Underground City with the descendants of soldiers who left their name over one hundred years ago. However, this group of names written by the same hand mystifies me. I suppose that the person who wrote it used phonetic spelling because some surnames do not exist. If anyone can identify who they were I would be very grateful. 

Went there this March a wonderful visit!

Tony

• Admin

Coldthorpe, Beadsall, Booth, Blackmore, Andrews,Lindford, Everndeen is how I read the names. 

1 hour ago, Michelle Young said:

Coldthorpe, Beadsall, Booth, Blackmore, Andrews,Lindford, Everndeen is how I read the names. 

I agree with your interpretation of the 7 names.

Everndeen and Beadsall seem to be quite unusual names, hence my comment about phonetic spelling.

I hope that a link can be established between the names so that we may identify them.

Thanks for any input. 

I haven't come across the surname Beadsall but I have come across Beardsall so possibly a spelling error. Having said that there seem to be many surnames of this era that are no longer around.

Simon

The Service Record of William Thomas Wheeler RE 32445 records that he embarked for the BEF on 06/07/1915. On 25/08/1917 he was posted to England from what I think reads 95 Field Co (7 Div). 95 FC landed at Havre in August 1915 and the Unit WD records that they moved to Naours on 27/12/1915 and were there all January 1916. A good starting point. 

Brian

I just did a quick check of Coldthorpe on the medal roll index cards (Ancestry) and it appears nobody of that name appears to have served (at least overseas) making Goldthorpe seem more likely.

Simon

14 hours ago, mancpal said:

I just did a quick check of Coldthorpe on the medal roll index cards (Ancestry) and it appears nobody of that name appears to have served (at least overseas) making Goldthorpe seem more likely.

Simon

Thank you Simon. Does this search include RFC/RAF, there were many aerodromes nearby. 

12 minutes ago, Paul in the Somme said:

Thank you Simon. Does this search include RFC/RAF, there were many aerodromes nearby. 

If Coldthorpe does not exist on the medal roll index cards nor on CWGC records, does that exclude this spelling with 100% certainty?

17 hours ago, brianmorris547 said:

The Service Record of William Thomas Wheeler RE 32445 records that he embarked for the BEF on 06/07/1915. On 25/08/1917 he was posted to England from what I think reads 95 Field Co (7 Div). 95 FC landed at Havre in August 1915 and the Unit WD records that they moved to Naours on 27/12/1915 and were there all January 1916. A good starting point. 

Brian

Thank you Brian. The walls of the tunnels in the Underground City of Naours are scattered with names. Sometimes walls have names of soldiers from different countries and different units all mixed together, and sometimes they are grouped by unit. Mr Wheeler's name may or may not be linked to the other names. Either way you have ticked off another name, thanks for that.

John Alexander WILSON MM 2733 of the Australian 2nd Pioneer battalion, meets Sergeant Walter McCarl WILSON 19830 of the American 17th Aero Squadron. 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_41a.jpg.e7c1e85e1b804d77438ee9f3e527da7f.jpg