Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ships Tally

eviltaxman

I've done a check for a posting on this, but couldn't see anything - so next step is to ask.

My G-Grandfather was in the Navy from 1881 - 1911. he was then recalled on the outbreak of hostilies and resumed his old rank of Stoker 1 Class. He died in 1915 from illness, but only after leaving the service because of this.

My question for the learned ones is...... If a man switched between ships often (like my GG - 3 in 13 months!) would he have worn a cap tally with only HMS or would he have one for each ship. He served on the Victory, the Europa and finally the Victory II. (Also, am I right in saying that the Victory & Victory II were "landbased" poss at Portsmouth?)

I've finally got hold of an erased (shudder!) 15 Star to go with the erased BWM.... that goes with the original Vic that I hold. I'm hoping to make a small presentation piece to hang on the wall to include a cap tally, a pic of his last ship (water based not land based) and his medals.

Finally, is there a place I could get hold of an original tally, either HMS or otherwise, for this wall hanging?

Cheers,

Les.

Hi Les,

Victory was indeed 'Vicky Barracks' in Pompey, Victory II was an administrative section dealing with 'vittiling and pay' of sailors on temporary or permanent draft to a ship that was not established for a Paymaster. As you know HMS Europa was a Diadem class cruiser disposed of in 1920. A later 'Europa' was a RN Patrol service base in Lowestoft during WWII.

HMS Victory tallies are quite commonplace but I doubt the age could be ascertained.

HMS Europa

hmseuropa9nh.jpg

Davie.

Davie,

Thanks for that. It's roughly what I though. He was on the Europa for most of his war service - 25 Aug 1914 to 26 Jan 1915.

If he was "on" a land based "ship" i.e. Vicky Barracks, surely they wouldn't need a crewman of Stoker?!?! I assume that as it was an "in between ships" situation, he would have a job on the same lines as his rank would dictate --- either that or he was stoking the heating furnaces :P

Any idea where I could get a tally for the Europa (or the Victory's)? I've looked around Ebay & the web, but there's nothing that jumps out at me.

From a quick look at his overall records he served on several ships -- Eclipse, Aboukir, Essex, Drake, Renown and the Victory's to name but a few. One ship listed I've never heard of...... Racer ????

Les.

Les,

I can sort a tally from Drake and Victory, I will mail you, as for HMS Racer she was a salvage vessel launched in 1884 rebuilt in 1917, cant find a pic at the moment but will keep trying.

Davie.

Barracks Life probably hadnt changed a great deat between the Great War and post WW2. I spent some time in both Devonport Barracks and Portsmortmouth Barracks at the beginning of the 50's as a Stoker. Barracks irrespective of where they were, operated the same way a ship would, some ratings would be drafted there as ships company as they would on a sea going ship.

This was to maintain continuity in the work process, but by far the most numerous would be ratings including Senior ratings who had either just arrived from ships for courses etc, or who were awaiting draft to another ship.

Each mornining we had to muster by division to be detailed off for work parties and this could generally mean anything regardless of branch, but one particular job that always befell the stokers was coal party. The permenant ships company stoker's would operate any furnaces in the establishment, but every morning men would be detailed off to resupply the various coal bunkers. I shovelled an aweful lot of coal in that period.

Hope this explaination helps, 50 yr's ago but seems like yesterday.

Len (ex stoker)

One ship listed I've never heard of...... Racer ????

Les a quick Google found :-

The RN College,

Osborne, finally closed down in 1923; its ship-name had been HMS RACER.

The following Link can provide tallie sbut mainly new ones:-

Tallies

Roop

Roop,

Thanks for that. I've been doing some cross referencing between dates & ships etc. His personal record shows RN college, but on checking his full service history, the same dates state "Racer" rather than "College".

Although I'm heavily interested in WW1, the Navy aspect leaves me cold. I couldn't tell a tub from a boat. I can recognise submarines though!! :lol:

Thanks (yet) again,

Les.