Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help deciphering this document

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

Looking for help deciphering this document. This is a discharge document related to William Edward Wood, an RFC pilot. I am trying to figure out what squadron he served under. I don’t believe it states in this document, but I’m looking for a few clues. Apparently he transferred from the military unit he was serving into the Royal Flying Corps. I also have his RFC graduation certificate (Central Flying School, Upavon, Wilts) dated August 22, 1917.

Gary

post-25-1109433657.jpg

Gary

Your man's attestation papers are on-line at the Canadian Library and Archives web site,

if you havn't already seen them of course. No unit, but It may give you another source for enquiry if nobody else comes up with the answer.

Terry Reeves

Guest Gary Davidson

Terry --

Thanks for that heads up about Canadian Library and Archives. I now have a few more pieces of the puzzle. Still trying to determine what Squadron he served in though.

I have attached another document of his, something called a "Character Certificate." Thought it might be interesting to look at.

Gary

post-25-1109538736.jpg

Hi Gary,

I have seen a few men transferred from the army to the RFC before.....more so Australians. I have never seen any reference to which Squadron they were eventually allocated in original application for commission/transfer or referee type documents....which is what these documents appear to be. In my experience they were appointed to a training school/squadron and only allocated to a unit after successfully completing training. Sometimes there may be reference in their army service papers (CEF in this case) to where they later served however his RFC/RAF papers should be available at the National Archives at Kew and will give a good account of his RFC/RAF service.

Rgds

Tim D

Guest Gary Davidson

Thanks Tim --

Looks like that's my next course of action... next time I'm in the UK. Unfortunately I live in (and don't hold it against me) California...

Gary

Don't worry mate...I live not far from Australia's equivalent...the Gold Coast.

Tim