Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Remeber Edith Cavell (not postage) Stamp

Chris_B

I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about this "Edith Cavell" stamp. It is not a postage stamp, and the text on the reverse side reads, "printed by Win..... Ltd, Richmond Surrey, England". Part of the printer's name is missing.

Does anyone know the history of this object. When was it printed? Who printed it? Is it just an enterprising firm cashing in on the patriotic feelings of the day, or was it offically sanctioned in any way? Was it in wide circulation? How much did it cost, or was this just at the discretion of the buyer who was contributing to some good cause when purchasing it?

Chris

post-38-1109419290.jpg

I have seen this image before, but maybe not the stamp.

Google Edith Cavell, as there is a lot of information on the web and a lot of images which I do not have time to go through today.

I remember posting something about women in WW1 a while ago.

Many years back (mid 1960's), I was in a museum on the seafront at Zeebrugge, and there were some photos there which depicted the actuality of capture of women in that area. Whether Cavell was one of them I don't know but it does ring a bell.

Noone on the Forum in those days could recall seeing anything like this. Now the Forum has doubled in size, I just wonder....

martin