Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Hospital

BillyH

Just a very basic question (I have read the Long Long Trail).

I am familiar with the term Field Hospital, but is this just another way of describing a Casualty Clearing Station?

BillyH.

• Admin

According to the OH the Casualty Clearing Stations in WW1 were originally given the official designation 'Clearing Hospital'.

The term 'Field' was applied to Field Ambulances.  'Field Hospital' is not indexed in the OH, nor is the term mentioned in the context of the administration of Medical Services on the Western Front

'Medical Services A General History'  Macpherson Chapter II The Medical Units in Army Areas

https://archive.org/details/medicalservicesg02macp/page/14/mode/2up

A web search shows the present day Army Medical Services operate 'Field Hospitals' which appear similar to, but a more sophistacted version of, the WW1 'Field Ambulance', i.e. a tented hospital for the initial treatment of battle casualties.

https://www.army.mod.uk/who-we-are/corps-regiments-and-units/army-medical-services/22-field-hospital/

I started a thread a some months back asking a question about the term 'Hospital' used in a 1915 Field Ambulance WD. They turned out to be hospitals set up by the Tent Sections of Field Ambulances. This usage seems have petered out after 1915. Were these the same units as your 'Field Hospitals'?

Having just read through my grandfathers diary again, MO RAMC, I think that the general term hospital was used by the volunteer Doctors who signed up.

They most likely stuck to the terminology they were use to as civilians. It is not until much later when he gets into military mode does he start using CCS etc. 

Although when he was sent down the line to the coastal area due to sickness and later wounded he refers again to hospitals (no9), Red cross hospital (No2) and Australian hutted hospitals.

He also mentions Bethune Red cross French hospital Dec 1915 Then 33CCS Bethune beginning of August 1916. Would this be the same place?

Dave