Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LtCol von Hagen

stevenbecker

Mates,

I notice this comment by von Sanders in his book "Five years in Turkey"

It deals with his comments around March 1918 when he took over the Armies in Palestine

"Ali Risa Pasha was given command in the East Jordan section with Lieutenant Colonel v. Hagen as chief of the general staflE. The troops under Ali Risa Pasha were small until the return of those of the Tafileh expedition.

I couldn't find who LtCol von Hagen was?

I had him in Turkish

Hagen von der     LtCol    Filistin'de 7. Ordu Kurmay Baskani (7th Army Chief of Staff in Palestine) 

But no deals on that, as the Chief of Staff of the 7th Army is shown as

Alexander von Falkenhausen (G) 1917 to Wilhelm Solger (G) to LtCol Mehmet Hayri (Tarhan) 1918

Of cause the Ottoman name Ali Risa Pasha also had me beat

The commander East Jordan Group or to the Turks, the Seria Group of the 48th Division HQ under Lieutenant Colonel Asim Bey

its Chief of staff is shown as Maj Ahmet Zeki (Soydemir) 1916/17  but he moved to the Chief of staff 3rd Corps in 1918 but no date for that move?

Any ideas here

S.B

Is this him?

hagen.jpg.8d7984b4f63cf1cafe9a83a1b7993d8c.jpg

https://www.volksbund.de/graebersuche.html

and here he's named "von der Hagen":

http://preussische-armee.blogspot.com/2014/01/normal-0-21-das-asienkorps-im-i.html

In November 1914, the 4th Army was reorganized in Syria with the aim of operating against the British forces in Egypt, especially the strategically important Suez Canal. The Turkish commander-in-chief, Djemal Pascha, was assigned by Colonel von Frankenberg as chief of the general staff. He was supported by other German officers (Colonel Freiherr von Kreß, Colonel Trommer, Major Hunger, Major Laufen, Captain von der Hagen, Rittmeister Welsch, Hauptmann Gerlach, Captain Heibey). The first attack targeting the Suez Canal was carried out in February 1915. Although the Suez Canal was reached, a pontoon bridge was also briefly built, but ultimately the expeditionary force had to withdraw from strong enemy forces. Of the German officers, Hauptmann von der Hagen died during the operation.

Mate,

Yes but that's not him?

Hagen Karl Wilhelm von dem    Lt (Capt)     Deutsche Militär-Mission in der Türkei - shown with 4th Army attach Canel Expedition 2-15 (stellvertreter) (Deputy) Ottoman Kommandeur des 73. Inf.- Regiment der 25. Inf.- Division shown as Ask. Beden egitimi okulu Komutani Istihbarat Subayi Suveys harekatinda (Commander Intelligence Agent Suveys in the school of physical education)    1914-15    (KIA 3-2-15) shot head during attack on canal 2-15 mentioned in book by Kress from Inf Regt No 81 in türkischen Diensten gefallene preußische Offiziere 1 (not identified)? shown in Klaus Wolf's Book

The officer named by Sanders was in early 1918 and a LtCol 

He is shown by Sanders as just LtCol von Hagen

Not having to German Army lists I am unsure how many von Hagens were in there? 

Germans list show men with names like

Hagen with or with out von or vom and or der or dem or even van der

and there are a number of them, many officers, but which one served as a LtCol (possibly an Ottoman rank?) so either a Maj or Capt during 1917-18 in Turkey or Palestine?

I can't find anywhere?

Cheers

S.B