Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Message Streamer

Guest Gary Davidson

Guest Gary Davidson

I’ve bumped across an interesting item called a “message streamer” obviously used for communication between airplane (or balloon) and the ground before the advent of radio. I was just wondering if anyone could elaborate a little bit more on how this early tool of communication was used? And for roughly what time period?

Gary

Gary

I think it means that the aeroplane crew put a message in a small container to which was attached a length of fabric. When the container was dropped, the fabric would both slow its passage to the ground and be visible to ground troops, thereby making recovery easier.

Regards

Gareth

;)

Hi Gary,

herewith one of many variants of the RFC message streamer! They do pop upo on ebay occasionally.

tim

post-25-1109419551.jpg

:D

Gary,

herewith another

post-25-1109419627.jpg

Gary

Tim's photos have reminded me that the red-yellow-blue fabric streamers were used as indentifying pennants for flight leaders and deputy leaders. They were attached to the [outer] interplane struts or the tail of the leader's aircraft.

A number of aircraft with streamers are illustrated in Norman Franks' Sopwith Camel Aces of World War I; see the extract below.

Regards

Gareth

post-25-1109447754.jpg

Gary,

Gareth is spot on, in his description of the use of message streamers. I remember being on the receiving end of this type of air to ground communication in the US Marines in the late 80's. Can and streamer were tossed from a low/slow OV-10 observation aircraft.

Cheers,

~Dan

Guest Gary Davidson

Did the color of the particular message streamer have any significance? For instance, the streamers shown on this thread are red-yellow-blue. I have also seen them solid red.

Gary