Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RAMC WW1

John R2

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for more info regarding my grandfather, Daniel Frederick Fuller, who served with the RAMC from 1913 to 1921 and attained a rank of sergeant. Family history says that he served as a stretcher bearer and nurse throughout WW1.

The little information that I have has him variously with the No.39 General Hospital, the 5th Field Ambulance, and discharged from the RAMC, Woking.

I understand that most of the records from WW1 were destroyed during WW2 but what I am trying to achieve is some sort of picture or chronology as to what his WW1 service might have looked like.

I thank you all in advance.

Cheers, John

Hi 

Here is his MIC Free from Ancestry and there does not appear to be any service papers available. If as you say he served after the war his papers may still be with the MOD.

I don't know how to check that some one else may be able to help.

Peter

fuller.JPG

Edited by ForeignGong

from the MiC, Fuller entered the war quite early, in August 1914, and so his WW1 medal trio includes the 1914 star, and he probably was entitled to the date clasp for the star

Hi Peter,

Thanks very much for the attached info and MIC. I have a copy of his discharge papers and a written reference from his CO.

I have his original medals, 3 I think, will have a look to see what is there.

And thanks for the links. I'd had a look at the National Archive but didn't have much luck.

All the best.

Cheers,

John

The MIC also shows his original trio of medals were returned to the medal office. Usual explanation is that he had changed address without informing the military.

Anyway, the pair may have been returned around 1923 possibly the 14 Star as well.

For some reason he then applied for his medals in 1946 which were sent to him in July 1946. The originals should by then have been scrapped so the 1946 Trio are a new set of WWI medals.

Normally you'd expect an address on the reverse of the card in cases like this but his card does not.

TEW

These are the medals that I have.

Daniel was discharged on the 25th November, 1921 on payment of 35 pounds. Was this a standard form of discharge?

He emigrated to Australia around 1922 which probably explains why the medals were returned.

Cheers

Medals.jpg

I just checked the Australian WW2 nominal roll and could not see him listed for service.

Thanks. I don't think he served in WW2. Apparently he refused to speak of WW1. I guess that's understandable serving in a front line medical unit for the entirety of the war. As far as we know he worked as a nurse for the rest of his life, still trying to confirm that. Cheers

On 04/11/2020 at 00:22, John R2 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for more info regarding my grandfather, Daniel Frederick Fuller, who served with the RAMC from 1913 to 1921 and attained a rank of sergeant. Family history says that he served as a stretcher bearer and nurse throughout WW1.

The little information that I have has him variously with the No.39 General Hospital, the 5th Field Ambulance, and discharged from the RAMC, Woking.

I understand that most of the records from WW1 were destroyed during WW2 but what I am trying to achieve is some sort of picture or chronology as to what his WW1 service might have looked like.

I thank you all in advance.

Cheers, John

Hello John, If it is of any help I have loaded parts of my grandfathers diary onto the GWF Blog. He was Lt/Capt RAMC 1915/1916.  It may help to understand what the Medics went through during the war, both during the quiet times and the worst.

Dave

If the first line of his MIC (5/F amb) refers to the 5th Field ambulance (attached to the 2nd Division), then it's WDs should provide you with a wealth of information. The URLs are in BarbaraG's post.

Also the WDs of the 2nd Division's Assistant Director of Medical Services may also be very useful. Those are here:

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/h/C4554471

If you register with TNA (link at the top right of the Discovery search pages) you should be able to download them all for free.

Thank you so much to everyone who has commented or given me links and ideas.

I've finally got my head around the National Archives site, about to lose myself in some war diaries.

Cheers,

John