Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Award Rolls 'Noted WSC'

timsanders

On several entries, I've noticed a penciled remark which looks like 'Noted WSC' (??) - is this significant and what could it mean?

WSC War Staff College
WSG War Service Gratuity

source: http://cmhs.ca/index.php/leftmenu-abbreviations?showall=1&limitstart=

Screenshot 2020-11-03 at 13.50.20.png

Edited by timsanders

• timsanders changed the title to Medal Award Rolls 'Noted WSC'
  • 2 weeks later...

Could it be anything to do with this?

On 12/11/2020 at 16:32, pierssc said:

Could it be anything to do with this?

Thanks Piers, this could be linked. Funny this topic should come up days after I posted this.

@Matlock1418 could the WSC on these Medal Award Rolls be referring to 'War Savings Certificates'?

1 hour ago, timsanders said:

could the WSC on these Medal Award Rolls be referring to 'War Savings Certificates'?

Tim,

A strange coincidence about threads - but these things do happen - I hadn't seen your thread!

Sorry, I really don't know = but I might hazard a guess that WSC in your context might mean "War Savings Committee" - the national WSC rapidly expanded into many local WSC - apparently there were also many more small War Savings Associations as the push for the purchase of War Savings Certificates grew in line with the 'challenged' national finances of the day.

I think War Savings Committees were really intended to raise money for the Government and its depleted coffers through the sale of War Saving Certificates

It might however perhaps also seem appropriate if a man was killed or being discharged with a Silver War Badge. ??

A War Saving Committee, or possibly Association, might perhaps help a widow/man with the 'wise' investment of any gratuity(ies) and/or pension - that way the Government would sort of quickly get back/raise its money as a means to pay/have paid for the war, and perhaps, perhaps as an aside, also help the widow/man - After all, War Saving Certificates did give you 5 1/4 % tax free!

[Did I seem to be too cynical about the Government there?]

= ???  :-/

I'll be keeping an eye out for further references to WSC [in a wider range of contexts now!]

As I encounter more I am likely to add to my Pensions - War Savings Certificates thread [have just done so]

If you find out more it would be good to also know.

:-) M

I would not expect to see War Savings Certificates noted on the silver war badge rolls as there was no need to, it's not something at all relevant to the badge issuance.

On 03/11/2020 at 13:58, timsanders said:

On several entries, I've noticed a penciled remark which looks like 'Noted WSC' (??) - is this significant and what could it mean?

WSC War Staff College
WSG War Service Gratuity

source: http://cmhs.ca/index.php/leftmenu-abbreviations?showall=1&limitstart=

Screenshot 2020-11-03 at 13.50.20.png

Can you link to some of the records which so this annotation ?

Craig

13 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Can you link to some of the records which so this annotation ?

Craig

This is the one I have to hand.

Screenshot 2020-11-18 at 16.18.06.png

• 2 weeks later...

Tim,

Have noted your interests I have had a look at the pension record cards [Both soldier's and claimant's] for each of:

= Private Abner Edwin Sanders (457) 1st Bn Northumberland Fusiliers [the example you provided in full in your last post]

= Private Edward Yates (15727) 12th Bn. (Pioneer) Sherwood Foresters

= Sgt Wilfred Burton (546318) 509th (London) Field Coy Royal Engineers

Didn't see anything that immediately strongly leapt out as circumstances such as I described in my earlier post re: War Savings Committee/Certificates e.g. re-marriage - doesn't say they are ruled out but I didn't spot anything on those cards

???

Have you any other examples? - if you don't have the images to hand then just the names and numbers of men of interest.

:-) M