Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bellawarde Mine Craters.

chrislock

I have walked past these craters many times. It,s about time I knew something of them! Can any pal help please? Several small ones immediately to the rear and left of R.E mem. Whose and dates please? The huge one immediately behind these, again whose and date please? Another small crater at the edge of Railway wood, top corner. Positions of shafts and galleries would be a bonus? :huh:

Wow! Don't want much do you Chris!!!!! :lol:

Right, here we go. There were approx. 31 (!) mine detinations in the area of Railway Wood on Bellewaerde Ridge due to occasional "flurry's" between June 1915 and June 1917 (especially June-Sept 1915 and June/July 1916). Difficult to say for sure (without burying my head in a book for a while - bear with me, I'm going off memory here!) which crater is from which period. Off the top of my head, though, I seem to recall that the large crater(s) is a German crater from June 1916 and the small ones are June/September 1915 craters both British and German, though mainly British.

A bit garbled, I know, but I hope it helps in someway.

Dave.

A bit garbled, I know, but I hope it helps in someway.

Unless you get the definitive answer in the meantime, I'll post back with more accurate details tomorrow (after I've been to bed!!!! :D )

Dave. :)

Dave, I just thanked you for your swift reply on the 10th Manchesters thread! You are a star! It is much appreciated. Chris. :D

Chris.

I could really do with an aerial shot of the area today to be 100% certain, but as far as I can see and remember, the "huge" crater is the remains of the German mine of 12th June 1916. This was blown under and between a British mine of 25th September 1915 and a German mine of 17th October 1915 turning the 3 craters into one large one. The smaller craters are the results of counter-mining and small scale operations from both sides. The ones near the large crater are of various dates with later craters destroying the earlier ones. What is left I believe to be evidence from 8th Dec.1915 (furthest away from the big crater), 16th November 1915 (the smallest), 24th November 1915 (which took 2 smaller craters with it) and 10th December 1916. Possible evidence also remains of the small British mine of 1st June 1916, though I think it may have been obliterated with the June 1916 mine.

I'm unaware of the exact location of the German July 1917 mine, but I believe it was to the north of this area.

Dave.

Dave, would I be right in saying that both sides held this ridge from time to time? My Great Uncle was KIA here with 7th Batt Somerset Light Infantry on the 13th June 1916! Your Knowledge is much appreciated, I stand here many times and let my mind run riot! How far away would the mine galleries have gone? :huh:

Dave,

I have an aerial shot of the area. Its taken from 2000 ft approx above Birr Xroads cem looking at the area of Railway Wood/RE Grave. I dont have my photos to hand as I am moving (Again!). If you can wait I will send it to you.

Iain

Iain,

I suppose that you are referring to the photos that you took 'for me' (some time in Sept - Oct 2003) ? Black and white ? I have two of them, both taken a little east of BirrCross Cem., with Witte Poort Farm in the bottom left corner, and the western part of Bellewaarde Wood with the R.E. Grave Cem. bottom right, and Railway Wood in the centre, the former railway behind it.

If we are talking about these and as you are busy moving (again) right now (and I can assure Forum members : Iain made an excellent choice !)... Maybe I could scan and email them to Chrislock and Dave ? But of course I'll wait until I have your permission.

(I hope you won't mind me advertising them here ? ;)

Aurel

P.S. Just this : no craters are visible, due to the trees and foliage, except one, a little bit (the one behind the R.E. Grave Cem.)

Iain, the two I have are numbered : 001 and 002 (date of development : 20/10/03)

Hi Aurel,

Lifesaver!! :lol: Go ahead and email them to Dave and Chris. Thanks for the offer. I move over for good on Thursday.

Best regards

Iain

OK.

Chris,

Could you let me know (off Forum) what your email address is ? I think I have it, but I'm not sure if it is the correct one, and still valid. (Is it broadband ? I want to know to decide on the resolution.

(Dave, I have yours.)

Iain,

Make sure when you move you take the right front door. The prison is close by. :)

And I won't visit you in the latter.

Aurel