Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kitchener's Bugle

This is the main town War Memorial for St.Albans in Herts. 

STA Q.jpg

The striking St Albans War Memorial is dedicated to the men of St Albans who died in both world wars. It was designed by Sir Ernest Wigram and unveiled by Lord Cavan in May 1921. In 2015, to mark the centenary of the First World War, a commemorative paving stone was laid in front of the memorial, dedicated to local Victoria Cross recipient Pte Edward Warner.

As always, please take what Images you want:-

STA A.jpg

STA B.jpg

STA C.jpg

STA D.jpg

STA E.jpg

STA F.jpg

STA G.jpg

STA H.jpg

STA I.jpg

STA J.jpg

STA K.jpg

STA L.jpg

STA M.jpg

STA N.jpg

STA O.jpg

STA P.jpg

STA R.jpg

STA S.jpg

STA W.jpg

STA X.jpg

Looking at the memorial in more detail, here are some standouts for me:-

Cecil Arthur Bailey 2nd Lieut. 4th West Yorks Regt; killed in action in France while attempting to save his orderly. 

Guy Frederick Bailey M.C. Capt. York and Lancaster Regt. Twin brother of the last named (Cecil Arthur Bailey); wounded 12th October, 1916; killed in action near Lens.

Arthur William Bland Pte. Beds Regt; killed in action on the Somme.

David Leslie Bland L/Cpl. King's Royal Rifle Corps; brother of the last named (Arthur William Bland); killed in action near Combles.

John Bligh Pte. 2nd Beds. Regt; killed in action at Loos.

Robert Bligh Pte. 2nd Beds Regt; brother of the last named (John Bligh); died of wounds at Le Treport Hospital.

• Admin

Did you visit the street memorials of the Abbey Parish? 

L/Cpl William Thomas Hunt 43489 The King's Liverpool Regiment; moved to Knowlsey where he was employed by Lord Derby and was later a gamekeeper for the Marquis de Casteja on the Halsall and Downholland estate; a cook in the officer's mess, he was shot through the head by a stray bullet while assisting his comrades during an attack.

Thank you KB for your post.

There is a lovely CWGC cemetery on the Hatfield Road. St Albans, and as there may be restrictions on Remembrance Sunday, I will pay my respects there in the quiet of the evening. 

31 minutes ago, maxi said:

Thank you KB for your post.

There is a lovely CWGC cemetery on the Hatfield Road. St Albans, and as there may be restrictions on Remembrance Sunday, I will pay my respects there in the quiet of the evening. 

Hi Maxi, unfortunately I did not have time, but I know that because there is a Cross of Sacrifice in there that there are a lot of CWGC Burials. Maybe next time!!

4 hours ago, PaulC78 said:

L/Cpl William Thomas Hunt 43489 The King's Liverpool Regiment; moved to Knowlsey where he was employed by Lord Derby and was later a gamekeeper for the Marquis de Casteja on the Halsall and Downholland estate; a cook in the officer's mess, he was shot through the head by a stray bullet while assisting his comrades during an attack.

Very interesting, do you know if he is on any memorials in the Knowsley Area?

18 minutes ago, Kitchener's Bugle said:

Very interesting, do you know if he is on any memorials in the Knowsley Area?

Not that I know of, though I'm not too familiar with the memorials around Knowsley. The church plaque at St Thomas in Lydiate has a William Henry Hunt which I think is meant to be him. He's also named on his wife's family grave at Scarisbrick.

Here are a few more interesting names from the Memorial

Frederick William Waters M.M. Cpl. 1st Herts Regt; believed to have been killed in action at Passchendaele.

Joseph Crawley Waters Gnr. Royal Field Artillery; brother of the last named (Frederick William Waters); died in Hospital in Egypt of wounds received in action at Romani.

Edward Warner V.C. Pte. 1st Beds. Regt; died of wounds and gas poisoning near Ypres after holding a trench single‐handed against repeated attacks by the enemy.

Charles Henry Taylor Pte. 21st Middlesex Regt; killed in action near Ypres (see brother Joseph Edward Taylor)

Joseph Edward Taylor M.M. Cpl. 1st Herts. Regt.; brother of the last named (Charles Henry Taylor); killed in action at St. Julien.

Arthur William Taylor Royal Army Medical Corps (London Field Ambulance); killed while removing wounded to advanced Dressing Station.

Charles Henry Swain Pte. 4th Beds., formerly 4th Essex Regt; died of wounds received at the battle of Gaza, in Palestine

Frederick Swain Pte. 5th Beds. Regt; brother of the last named (Charles Henry Swain); killed in action at Gaza.

Alfred Victor Smith V.C., Md Croix de Guerre, 2nd Lieut. 5th East Lancashire Regt.; killed in the trenches at Gallipoli, through throwing himself upon a bomb which was on the point of exploding, and saving the lives of many of his comrades by this act of self‐devotion.

Leslie Roberts M.C. 2nd Lieut. 6th East Surrey Regt., attached 6th Royal West Surrey; enlisted in 1st Herts Regt. August 1914; killed in action at Meaulte.

Horace Reece Pte. Royal Highlanders (Black Watch); died of gas poisoning in the battle of Loos.

Alfred Rainsden Pte. 28th Battalion, Australian Imperial Force; accidentally drowned at sea on the voyage to the Dardanelles 

John Rainsden L/Cpl. 1st Beds. Regt; brother to the last named (Alfred Rainsden); killed in action.

Christopher Leckonby Phipps Lieut. Royal Garrison Artillery, attached Royal Air Force (Kite Balloon Section); killed in a parachute descent from an observation balloon attacked by the enemy.

George Major M.M. Sergt. 2nd Border Regt; Mentioned in Despatches; killed in action in Italy.

13 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

Not that I know of, though I'm not too familiar with the memorials around Knowsley. The church plaque at St Thomas in Lydiate has a William Henry Hunt which I think is meant to be him. He's also named on his wife's family grave at Scarisbrick.

I was wondering how you knew about this man - so it looks like his wife stayed on in the area :D

Here are some monuments from within the Mighty (and very much underrated) St.Albans Cathedral.

sta 2.jpg

Here is the Chapel of remembrance. 

sta 7b.jpg

sta 5.jpg

sta 6.jpg

sta 7.jpg

sta 7a.jpg

15 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Did you visit the street memorials of the Abbey Parish? 

Hi Michelle, yes I seen most of them, very unique are they not.

Abbey 2.jpg

Abbey 3.jpg

Abbey 5 factory_memorial.jpg

Abbey 6.jpg

Abbey I.jpg

ST ALBANS SCHOOL War Memorial

Unveiled on 16 Feb.1925 and attended by: General Duncan.

This stands outside the entrance to the school close to the Cathedral. 

school 1.jpg

Edited by Kitchener's Bugle

Here are the Plaques:-

sc hool 3.jpg

School 2.jpg

school 3.jpg

school 4.jpg

school 5.jpg

school 6.jpg

• Admin

Thank you KB, dropped into St Albans a few years ago now on my way to a concert at Knebworth.........Great to see your photos