Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Best Book Find?

Lindsey

I was just browsing a thread on the book forum and saw numerous books I have now got and found, perchance, in charity shops etc, usually for pence. Some of these are treasures to me now as my interest has grown on the subject of WW1 and I wondered what other 'discoveries ' others may have stumbled upon??

My treasure is 'Some Desperate Glory' by Edwin Campion Vaughn, bought for £2.00 from the Oxfam book shop, possibly because it was the first book I found on the subject and secondly, I bought it because my own grandfather was in the Royal Warwicks and I hoped I may discover something about his journey through the war.

My latest two treasures found last week are 'Her Privates We' by Fredrick Manning and 'Goodbye To All That' by Robert Graves, £1 each from the BHF Charity Shop!!!! Real treasures as far as i'm concerned.

Another thought occured to me as well.... How do all these 'treasures' end up in charity shops etc? I would never part with such books. Perhaps that is why I have a book case in every single room of my home bulging to the seams as i can't part with ANY books!!

Lindsey

I think mine (if I'm not allowed to include maps) is an original 1920 1st edition of Frederick P.Gibbons' excellent The 42nd (East Lancashire) Division 1914-1918 (the division which contained my local battalion) in absolutely mint condition, containing the pull-out maps and even a "flyer" for the 42nd Div. Old members Association!

I won't make people envious by mentioning the cost (but it cost me more for my celebratory pint afterwards!!! ;) ). This was from a second hand book-shop that usually deals in 1960's/70's paperbacks.

Lindsey, you ask how they end up in charity shops? You say that you'd never part with such a book. This is maybe so, but people's relatives would after they're "gone" :( . This is how it happens in unnumerable occasions.

Dave.

Dave,

I had thought about that....... and it made me think I will try and counteract it and leave what I have to someone/org ect that cares, so to speak. Oh dear, it sounds so depressing but it isn't really..... Im just glad that some of these treasured books found their way to me, so i can enjoy and look after them...if only for a while!!!!

Lindsey

Great stuff Dave. Would like a copy of that one myself. Chances of getting one in Oz are fairly slim though!

A 1956 copy of 'Gallipoli' by Alan Moorehead dedicated to Hon Josiah Francis by R A Mackay 'from one old soldier to another'. Capatin Josiah Francis served with the 15th Battalion A.I.F and Robert Alexander Mackay with 43rd Bty C.F.A. Both were their governments respective representatives to the UN in the 1950's. $10.00.

A copy of 'Australia in Palestine' dedicated by Trooper Arthur Francis Hennessey of the 5th Light Horse Regiment A.I.F. to his sweetheart in Australia. Hennessey was wounded in Jordan and captured by the Turks before disappearing presumed died a POW. $25.00.

Rgds

TD

My now treasured Manchester City Battalions Book of Honour.

It's previous owner wanted it to go to a good home rather than be chucked out when she died. I explained that it was quite valuable and was prepared to pay for it ( I was concered that I not be thought of as one of those scumbags who con old people out of their valuables). The owner accepted that point but refused to take more than a token payment. Respect.

John

Lindsey, where is it you live- the charity shops round Carlisle have been scoured clean by comparison. Great finds at bargain prices. :D

I've just been given a copy of Poets and Pals In Picardy by Mary Allen Freeman (the author not the giver). I'd never really took to war poetry before but this has got me interested.

Keep searching-I suppose- you never know

5 pence for a signed copy of Vera Brittain's Testament Of Youth ranks up there.

Paul

My best buy ,both in terms of making a quick buck and helping some one who really wanted it , was finding "At Ypres with Best-Dunkley" in an Oxfam shop. I read it with some interest , though it's not that great. Within weeks, "Stand To" plopped through the door with a desperate request for it within ! I sold it for a very satisfactory price (although probably 25% of its real value for all I know !) The buyer had a relative who is mentioned in the text. Very satisfactory result.

Spike

I live not to far away from you , in Lancaster and there are a dearth of charity shops here. Your 'treasure' sounds great, i do like poetry but as yet havent found any bargains of that kind!! i'll keep searching though!!

Lindsey

Paul

I too got a bargain copy of Testemant of Youth, plus the accompanying books Vera Brittain wrote after that, Testemant of Friendship and Testemant of Experience for the princley sum of 75p!!

Lindsey

A complete set of the War Illustrated in a library sale for £10.

They wanted £25 but I only had a tenner and went away and came back later.

They were still there so I offered the £10 somewhat apprehensively - the off-hand way the fellow said "Yeah alright" was slightly disapointing :)

zoo

London Oxfam shops have valuers attached who put quite high prices on anything WW1 related. I was, however, after years of looking, very pleased to find a 1929 version of Goodby To All That, Robert Graves for £1 in my local flea market.

Myrtle

I picked up a 1930s hardbacked copy of "All Quiet on the Western Front" for 50p. Only problem is it is in Swedish. :D

:lol:

Do we have any swedish pals here?

Robbie

Paul

Indeed, Paul. Well spotted.

Robbie :P

Paul

Indeed, Paul. Well spotted.

Robbie :P

Ah but bear in mind this was twenty years ago at a flea market in Loughborough. At today's prices you would be looking to pay anything between 25 and 30 pence

;)