Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK STREET MAPS WW1

Acknown

I imagine that this has been discussed before, but I can't find anything. Does anyone know of a good online map resource where I can find WW1 UK street maps (survey maps perhaps). This is for researching house distribution and names to discover soldier's homes.

I've found the Detailed Old Victorian Ordnance Survey 6 inch to 1 mile Old Map (1888-1913) of the United Kingdom on the ARCHI UK Database, but in some cases, buildings erected just before the war are not shown.

Thanks.

Acknown

Many 25 inch maps are available here  but the dates of survey vary and no house numbers are not shown. It may be that haphazardly some local history centres retain some maps but I fear that accessing these in the current situation may prove difficult.

The National Library of Scotland map site may be of interest. 

https://maps.nls.uk/

This zoomable map can be used to select a location, then select a particular OS series

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=5.504910574859706&lat=56.75725&lon=-2.39200&layers=102&b=1&z=1&point=54.97406,-1.40867

Like wot I said 48 minutes earlier (smug b*gg*r emoticon) though perhaps I shouldn't have just posted the link as "here". Ian's links were far more indicative (humble pie emoticon).

Thank you all very much - I do like an indicative link! Any more ideas, anyone?

Acknown

• 2 weeks later...

Martin,

Many thanks, very useful. The area I'm looking at saw steady expansion in the early 1900s, so the later towards/into the war the better.

Acknown

Have you tried www.old-maps.co.uk? (They are working on the site stability at the moment so you might need some patience.)  You might have to work out house numbers. If you want a really blown-up version you need to subscribe, which I do.

Time was when I recommended old-maps, only for another member to reckon more than once that the National Library of Scotland website was better. (Links to it are on post 2 and 3 above.) For whatever reason (I can't recall), I switched my allegiance to it but, who knows, since then old-maps might have been tweaked.

Dragon and Moonraker,

Very many thanks, I'll have a good look.

Acknown

The NLS site is a lot faster and it has zoomable map overlays, so you can compare a modern image or map with a selected historic map by overlaying it. That's fascinating. In my experience, in the areas I've used it for, the Old Maps site has more maps.

In both sites, I've found that if you want to locate a specific property, perhaps by number, you usually need to find it on Streetview by looking the house numbers which are visible and then work it out on an old map.

My own county archives and local studies department has tithe maps online, which can be viewed side by side with a modern town plan or area map. The town plan has some house numbers to facilitate locating a property. It also has the facility to change from the title map view to the old OS maps. 

Dragon - Thanks again. 

Acknown