Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BQMS James Morrison

jdmorr

I have been a member for a couple of weeks and have been overwhelmed by the information and assistance everyone brings to this arena. My kudos to all. I have been searching for my grandfather's military history and I have been reading through pages of your entries for clues. I have received the copy of the MIC.

I also have a letter of reference from a commanding officer after the war.

(Aberdeen-Kintore) enlisted in Territorial CO November 1911 at Torry Point Battery, Aberdeen. Embodied into RGA at Torry Point Battery in August 1914. Went to France with 100 Seige Battery RGA in May 1916 and served there until he was gassed in April 1918. I can not find any information on 100 Seige.

His MIC indicates his rank as A/WO class 2 which I assume is the same as BQMS as the ranks changed names around 1915 for NCO's. Regimental no. 365021

I beleive I read somewhere Artillery RGA information is not as available as infantry. I have found a web site for Torry Point Battery. The Battery had been abandoned and partly demolished but now is being renovated. In 2000 the Battery was recognized as an ancient monument to recognize its unique history dating back to 1860.

This is my second family member I am searching out. The first was serving with a Canadian Division and his past was easier to follow as he died in France and I have all his gravesite information. My grandfather was a survivor and not as easy to trace.

James_Morrison_Medal_Card.wpd

Welcome to the Forum! :)

What Canadian Division did your other family member serve with?

The other family member I researched was my great uncle Cpl Frank Morrison, machine gunner, 4th Division, 87th Battalion, Canadian Infantry Quebec Regiment, service #177573 buried Triangle Cemetery, Inchy-En-Artois, Pas-de-Calis, France site # D.10

I beleive he died during the morning charge at Canal du Nord Sept 19, 1918.

Hi JD,

Welcome to the forum.

100 Siege Battery were First Army , Army Troops as of November 1918 part of 64th Brigade RGA. Part of the War Diary is available at the NA and can be ordered online at:-

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/recordcopying/

WO 95/227 100 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery 1916 Jan. - 1917 Dec.

The ramainder of the diary may be available at the Firepower Museum Library in Woolwich.

Hope this helps.

Roop

jdmorr, I see he was an original with the 87th, one of the Battalions I am interested in. Have you looked through their War Diaries (mentioned in case you aren't aware they are on-line). From looking at Ted Wigney's "The CEF Roll of Honour", I see he was listed in the De Ruvigny Roll of Honour.

You may not be aware of this, but a document called the "Circumstances of Death" file exists but is held apart from the service files held by Library and Archives Canada. It may only say he was killed in action but it may give more. This thread on the CEF discussion group will give you more background, link.

I am beyond words .. the amount of help and information is astonishing! What I thought was going to be a weekend project may have turned into something that is going to last years. It looks like I am just touching that tip of the iceburg and I'm hooked ..... I have lots of reading to do. Thank you for getting me started in the right direction. I have been reading some of the war diaries for the last 5 hours - WOW. I have my uncle's Attestation Paper now. This is really putting a 'personal' perspective on all this. Amazing .... what else can I say!