Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shoreham replica trench

Moonraker

Meridian TV news item

"It's 25 metres long, five feet tall and was constructed with two and half thousand sandbags...    Shoreham Fort's ambition to create a World War One memorial trench is now complete. The idea for a trench came seven years ago and is designed to reflect the town and surrounding area's involvement in the conflict. Around 100,000 soldiers at a time would train in trenches like the one that has been recreated with Shoreham becoming a base for servicemen in 1914."

(" Around 100,000 soldiers at a time" is a bit vague,)

I don't like it. Seems we had OAP soldiers in the trenches during 1914-18. I am not a carping sort of chap but this does NOT represent a Great War trench

34 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

It does look rather pristine. Perhaps Winter will "weather" it and cause some mud.

1 hour ago, stripeyman said:

I don't like it. Seems we had OAP soldiers in the trenches during 1914-18. I am not a carping sort of chap but this does NOT represent a Great War trench

The attached spiel  does say 'While the project is a visual reminder of the sacrifice that was made Shoreham Fort of course could not replicate the muddy conditions which swamped the trenches on the battlefield.'  It appears that this was never intended to be a 'trench experience' type 'replica', more an enduring memorial; as with all modern day community  projects of this type, as with art, it then becomes a question of whether this particular representation is to your taste or not.  I can think of far worse.

NigelS