Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headstone damage/markings - Perth China Wall

m0rris

This is the grave of Herbert Parker who was killed with my great uncle on this day in 1917 near Manor Road, Zillebeke. I'm curious about the three distinct markings to the stone and wondered if anyone knows what could have caused them. I know there was WW2 action close by (Hill 60) but so far am unable to find a strong link.

Many thanks Will

HJP grave.jpg

Is this a modern photo? 

Is this a modern photo? 

I would say they are bullet or shrapnel damage from 1940.

Jan

I've been looking through my pics of Perth but haven't found one of that particular grave. 

Can you tell me the grave reference?? 

I'll take a look next time I'm there... it's quite rare... 

And the epitaph is very poignant too !

M.

Edited by Marilyne

Many thanks Terry, Jan and everyone for the information which confirms what I thought.

Steven - I took the photo 3-4 years ago. Herbert was with my great Uncle Capt RP Morris MC when they were hit by a shell having gone ahead to organise the exchange of guns with the 23rd Heavies. The rest of the men arrived not knowing what had happened. Herbert was buried at the side of the road and Morris in Bedford House. By sheer coincidence I made contact with his great nephew through the forum, which has been fantastic to be able to share stories and research.

Marilyne - the grave reference II.A.48 I can't remember whether I noticed the markings at the time but it certainly adds another layer of poignancy.

Edited by m0rris

Certainly look like bullet strikes - but easy repairs so why have they not been attended to if it was WW2 damage ? 

It isn't unusual for IWGC (so CWGC) "cemetery files" to contain cemetery inspection reports immediately post WW2 so an enquiry to them may be worthwhile with regards to the general condition / possible damage to Perth Cemetery China Wall.

Tom

7 hours ago, Tom Tulloch-Marshall said:

Certainly look like bullet strikes - but easy repairs so why have they not been attended to if it was WW2 damage ? 

It isn't unusual for IWGC (so CWGC) "cemetery files" to contain cemetery inspection reports immediately post WW2 so an enquiry to them may be worthwhile with regards to the general condition / possible damage to Perth Cemetery China Wall.

Tom

Isn't there a policy from the CWGC to show the history of its heritage as well? There's the obvious repairs at the Menin Gate (mainly from when the British blew up the bridge in May 1940) and there's some German 1940 damage on the Indian Memorial at the La Bombe Crossroads as well IIRC. There's also the bullet holes in the Australian Tunneling Company Memorial at Hill 60.

Jan

Many thanks for all the contributions. Tom - that's a great idea so I will pursue that and report back at some point. I can well imagine that WW2 markings would be viewed as history in the making so will be interesting to know when they were first recorded. I know that you researched Herbert Parker in depth for his great nephew Bob which has been invaluable to him and his family.

15 hours ago, AOK4 said:

Isn't there a policy from the CWGC to show the history of its heritage as well? There's the obvious repairs at the Menin Gate (mainly from when the British blew up the bridge in May 1940) and there's some German 1940 damage on the Indian Memorial at the La Bombe Crossroads as well IIRC. There's also the bullet holes in the Australian Tunneling Company Memorial at Hill 60.

4 hours ago, chaz said:

of course Duisans has its own story

There are instances of WW2 damage which was consciously not repaired but I have never seen archive reference to any deliberate policy. The damage at the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial was far more extensive than what can still be seen now.

59946020_gwf1MeninGatedDamagecirca1940(4).JPG.d7ba0a1b10757870bf4d48d1eabff009.JPG

Cemeteries such as Meerut Military Cemetery at St Martin-les-Boulogne look quite "normal" now - but by the time of liberation during WW2 it had suffered devastating damage. It was not alone.

Duisans has a more recent sad history of damage, - this from 2014 >

1599446563_gwf1DuisansMilitaryCemetery3-12-14crash29-11-14(5).JPG.2f12232fe4c10943885525a5476ea03b.JPG

1460753804_gwf1DuisansMilitaryCemetery3-12-14crash29-11-14(6).JPG.7c63b44b427c2669187733762b4dd867.JPG

That must have been quite spectacular as the hedge wasn't damaged at all. Not war damage - but no question of just leaving it as it was.

With regards to Perth Cemetery China Wall - ask for a copy of any post WW2 inspection report which may exist in the IWGC "cemetery file".

Tom

Many thanks Tom - I'll get on to it right away.

• 4 weeks later...

Tom - Just heard back from CWGC who agree that bullet damage looks the likeliest cause and suggest I contact them again in 6 months when they hope to have reopened their offices.