Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forum pals with transcriptions of 1914 Star rolls

Keith_history_buff

Several years ago, I compiled a transcription of the 1914 Star medal roll to the battalion of one of the infantry regiments that took part in the BEF's campaign from August to November 1914. (I have other data sets about the men on the roll, which can be cross-referenced, but that's a different story.)

I passed my data to the late Martin Gillott, thinking he could make use of it. He was gracious, and appreciative.

Thank you. Due to the kindness of strangers I have been given similar spreadsheets for the RWF (all battalions), East Surrey Regt , Black Watch, Essex Regt, Royal Sussex Regt to name a few.  

Due to the kindness of GWF members I am steadily building a bank of 1914 and 1915 Star rolls

I would like to make contact with others on here who have likewise compiled their own transcriptions of the 1914 Star medal roll, and to compare notes via PM. Whilst I am happy to share my work, I understand that others have their reasons for keeping their cards close to their chests. I also think some of the conversations would be a combination of both very niche and as dull as ditchwater. If they were to result in something of interest, then I daresay that it would warrant the creation of a thread on this forum.

If these were different times, I would me making contact with Martin, and asking if he could introduce me to said persons. The data itself is not enough, I want to make contact with those people that have done the legwork, know the data, and would like to glean a bit more info.

I am interested in all regiments with the exception of the Royal Welsh Fusiliers. I hope to deal with like minded individuals and have no interest whatsoever in p*ss*ng contests. I have no interest in the 1914-15 Star roll, thanks all the same.

Thanks
Keith

I'm working with the 1914 Star Roll, but in a slightly different context, in relation to my research and compilation of a Nominal Roll of Chums of The Old Contemptibles' Association that I am putting together. I've confirmed and traced just over 7,000 Chums so far, from an estimated 40,000 who were members of the Association between 1925 and 1994. Many of the late applications for the Clasp and Roses annotated on the various unit rolls, particularly during 1938, are usually indicative of an individual making an application to join a Branch of the Association and the requirement that they qualified for the emblems in order to have their application accepted.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

13080 Private Thomas Price of the South Wales Borderers disembarked in France with a draft of reinforcements on 9 November 1914 for the 1st Battalion at the First Battle of Ypres. 

He later transferred to the Labour Corps, who recorded him on their 1914-15 Star roll as arriving in Egypt on this date. The image of the medal roll has this struck through, and a comment that he is on the 1914 Star roll.

The 1914 Star medal roll records the issue of a clasp 15 February 1938.