Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Doesn't look like an RE8

mpjbrennan

The picture below is of my grandfather who was an observer in the RFC . His diaries describe going on sorties in an RE8, but this doesn't look like an RE8 to me. The rear-facing Lewis gun is missing, and it looks more like a single seater. Can anyone hazard a guess at the type?

Patrick

rfc.png

Patrick

I think that the machine is a BE 2e, possibly in a Home Defence night-fighting role. The white triangle marking makes it look very much like the BE 2e from No 78 Sqn RFC, based at Sutton's Farm, in the photograph below.

The opening in the fuselage for the observer's cockpit, which was forward of the pilot's position, can just be seen in your photo.

I hope that this helps.

Gareth

post-25-1109361416.jpg

Thank you - I spoke to my father and he said my grandfather also served in BE2's - he wasn't sure which model. However, just to confuse the issue, here's a couple more pics with two different aircraft. The first is supposedly the mechanics of C flight No/ 4 squadron in front of what I think is an RE8. The second is my grandfather again - but this time the plane has a twin-bladed prop. The engine block of the latter has AW marked on it - Armstrong-Whitworth?

patrick

RFC%20c%20flight.jpg

unknown.png

Patrick

The aeroplane in the upper photograph is an RE 8, as flown by No 4 Sqn RFC/RAF. The lower photograph is of an Armstrong Whitworth FK 8 - as shown in the photo below of a No 8 Sqn machine, the radiator arrangement is quite distinctive.

Regards

Gareth

post-25-1109366944.jpg

Patrick

Your original photo of what we conclude is a BE2e is full of rarely seen detail.

I presume the v-shaped crutch in front of the windscreen is the mounting for the observer's Lewis, fired from the front seat. Anyone confirm this? If it is, it looks like you could give the pilot a centre parting with the Lewis! And in front of your grandfather's hand is the magneto (ignition) switch - on the outside so ground crew could switch it off in a crash or if the aeroplane ran away on starting.

Was Henry Joseph Brennan his brother?

Adrian