Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battle of Sardarapat 1918 - Turkish perspective...

krycha101

Hi everyone

I am working on the article (for Polish readers) about the battle of Sardarapat (Sardarabad, Serdarabad) in may 1918. I try to show a balanced view (both from military and moral perspectives) and use materials from both sides (as far as my language or translating skills let me to do that). It is widely known that battle was mythologized by Armenians and Russians. It is shown as "holy" battle of Armenian nation, a kind of miracle at the gates of Erewan etc. etc. On the other hand - the Turks have always diminished its meaning (pointing mainly at moral and tactical dimesions). It is even difficult to collect some military data about the Turkish side (e.g. the realiable OOB). I found some Kazim Karabekirs' memories (entries in "Gunluker" - difficult to translate for non-Turks), short articles by Bal and Gürbüz - but they lack of details. Are there any users from Turkey on the forum? What do you think about the campaign and battle of Sardarapat (and Bash-Aparan and Karakilis). Could you help to collect some useful materials and show a balanced view on that controversial topic?

Regards

Christopher

Mate,

Needs some checking but I've never heard of it?

Again I have not spent much time here so I am unsure of the units here, but this is want I have;

Erickson shows the Ottoman 3rd Army and 9th Army, 

3rd Army

6th corps - 3rd Cau Div 36th Cau Div 5th Div and 37th Cau Div's

9th Army

1st Cau Corps

9th Cau and 10th Cau and 15th Div's

4th Corps

5th Cau 11th Cau and 12th Cau Div's

I have it a little different

The Ottoman Army of Islam was advancing in that area and it had units mostly from Azerbaijan (the formation of this Army veries in the sources from March or later) the Orient Army Group Caucasus formed from 3rd & 9th Army in June 1918 but the Caucasus Army Group was formed 3-17 from disbanded 2nd & 3rd Army ?

Azerbaijan Corps (Army of Islam) ( Iam unsure of the date for its formation?)

1st Azerbaijan Division or 1st Caucasus Division - mixed units (unknown) possibly Kurds or Azerbaijani Muslims 

(1st Caucasus Division mixed units (unknown) possibly Kurds + 9th and 106th Turkish regt (possibly 9th Kafkas Regt (5th Cauc Div) and 106th Kafkas Regt (36th Cauc Div)
Karayazi Cav Regt
Lezki Cav Regt

1st Caucasus Corps - Jan 1918 Turkish reports (9th Cauc Div 10th Cauc Div 36th Cauc Div and 15th Div) 
9th Caucasus Division
10th Caucasus Division

36th Caucasus Division 
15th Div

These are the units I have around that date, there were other formations like the 4th Corps shown Jan 1918 Turkish reports (5th Div & 8th Div & 12th Div) 

But they arrived after that May date, or so I have?

But this is a area I am unsure of as the ottoman Armies changed the names a number of times as they moved into the Areas after the Russian collaspe, and their drive to capture the Oil field at Baku, even the Germans were against the Ottoman push through here, and formed their own forces to travel there?

I am sure others will have more

It was a hard time for many as the fall of the Russian Empire with all factions and the raising of local factions trying to form their own Govts, was a time when all sides tried to control areas forming alliences and braking them?

Bon Chance

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Mate,

Sorry I checked Wiki and saw the story Battle of Sardarabad

Be carefull here as it shows this

Forming part of the 36th Turkish Division moving towards Alexandropol-Yerevan were the 106th, 107th and 108th Infantry Regiments, one rifle battalion, two artillery divisions. The Turkish army was further supported by a separate cavalry regiment and another one of 1,500 Kurdish fighters. The Turkish forces were a total of 7,500 – 10,000 soldiers and officers, including the Kurds. The Turks had 40 cannons at their disposal.

I am unsure of what Regts formed this Div as it was disbanded into the new 12th Cau Div years before,

The new 36th Cau Div was raised as a Cau Div from 1st and 2nd Infantry Regts (Militia) and the Çoruh Müfrezesi for the Winter Battles in Northern Turkey late 1916 

But I don't known if these were the new Regts

1-3/106th Caucasus Regt                         1-3/107th Caucasus Regt                           1-3/108th Caucasus Regt  

The total force numbers appear about right as an Ottoman Div at that stage of the war would of had around 4000 to 7000 men, The last strenght state I have for this Div shown Aug 1918 Allied reports (4000 men) near Baku.

Two Artillery Btys (Battalion) shown with this Div so around 8 x 75mm Field guns, even if they had two Battalions (4 Batteries) that would be 16 guns? 

The number 40 guns maybe a guess from what Russian Artillery Battalions use to have, batteries of 8x 76mm guns so two batteries 16 guns and two Battalions 32 guns The Ottomans never had these numbers?

The cavalry is shown as one Regt since no Regular Cav Regts were there it maybe one of the two known local raised Regts (Karayazi Cav Regt or Lezki Cav Regt)

The Kurds maybe part of the new Azerbaijan Division which was forming slowly, number veried in all sources as they came and went, as the Ottomans advance to the Area around Baku?

Any way plenty to look at

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Thanks for replay.

According to some sources Turkish forces engaged near Sardarapat in late may 1918 were:

• Zihni Bey detachement (imrovised infantry/acavalry?), reinforced by 1st Light/Hunter Battalion (Avcı taburu) ?
  • 108 IR from 36. Caucasian Division
  • Hamci Hamdi bey detachement (probably impovised battle goup from 36 Cauc. ID sent for help to Zihni bey).
  • 36 CID was a part of I Caucasian Corps under Kazim Karabekir and part of a larger organizations (Army group commanded by Jakub Sevki Pasa) and 3rd army.
  • other divisions were engaged against main Armenian Corps and Andranik's group - 5TH, 9TH I 11TH DIVISIONS

Here are some entries from Kazim Karabekir's "Günlükler" cilt II (Diaries part II). But the laguage is far from modern Turkish, and they are difficult to translate...

22 Mayıs 1918 (22 Mayıs 1334) Çarşamba.

Kıtaat istirahatta. Avcı taburu Ilıca’dan Ağın’a yürüyüşte. Telsiz telgraf trenle geldi. Müretteb süvari alayı ve 108. Alay dün Serdarabad’da ceman 600 piyade ve 250 süvariden mürekkep bir Ermeni müfrezesiyle müsademe ederek Serdarabad istasyonunu zaptettiler. Eşkiyadan 150 maktul vardır. Bizden 2 ağır, 7 hafiff mecruhumuz oldu. 33 sandık piyade, 4 şarapnel, 46 dane sarf olundu. Bugün şakiler daha kuvvetli görülmüş. 6 top dahi istimal etmişler. Müfreze Serdarabad’ı terkle 4 kilometre şimâle çekilmeye mecbur olmuş. (23’te bir tayyare üzerlerinde keşif yapmış.)

23 Mayıs 1918 (23 Mayıs 1334) Perşembe
İkinci yaverliğe avcı muallimi Kemal Efendi’yi aldım. Yarın Vehip Paşa ve Ermeni Kolordu Kumandanı Nazarbekof diğer bir general ile Gümrü’ye geleceklermiş. Kaleye Hüsrev Bey’le gittim. Vehip Paşa’ya hazırlanmış binaları gezdik. Avcı taburu Gümrü cenup köylerinde silah toplayacaktı. Fakat Serdarabad’da Ermeniler faal ve kuvvetli göründüklerinden oradaki süvari alayını avcı ile takviyeye ve silah dercine 9. Fırka’dan bir alayın memur edilmesine karar ve emir verdim.

26 Mayıs 1918 (26 Mayıs 1334) Pazar.

İleri hareket ve muharebe. Serdarabad cihetinde tarafeyn aynı vaziyette kaldı. Ermenilerin taarruzu tard. Bir düşman tayyaresi dolaştı. Alagez Dağı’nın şarkında 36. Fırka iki bin kadar şakiyi tard ile mevcut iki topundan biri iğtinam.

27 Mayıs 1918 (27 Mayıs 1334) Pazartesi

(...) Zihni Bey’den rapor: Eşkiya taarruz etti. Sol cenahımı ihata ettiğinden Eşinak sırtlarına çekildik. Fakat guruba kadar ancak tard eyledik. Gece Alagez şark sırtlarına çekileceğim! Karakilise ’dekiler darbeyi yemeden bu havadis hoşumuza gitmedi. Mahaza sıraya koymaktan başka çare yok. Fakat Ermenilerden ziyade gruba kızdım. İkinci Kolordu başsız bir halde, ben Karakilise karşısına geldim. Şimdi benim sağ cenah kaldı başsız. Muhabere zor. Karar ve emir verdim. Hemen 36. Fırka Kumandanı Başabaran mıntıkasından 106. Alay iki taburu, 17. Alay 1. Tabur’a kudretli tabur, bir Rus cebel takımı, istihkâm süvari bölüğü (bir takım noksan) Söğütlü mıntıkasına yürüyüş.

unfortunately online translators provide rather rough translation. I still need help from Anatolian natives :)

here is a my map of the engagement (rough sketch):

Bitwa pod Sardarapat 1918.jpg

Mate,

As stated its not an area I have looked at, only the Battle of Baku later that year?

Kazim was a good Corps commander, so his story should be taken at face value he had a long career.

The Ottoman Army was advancing along a wide front (from Batum to Van) with what forces they could form.

They were taking all the local forces they could as they did, Kurds and others came to there flag for their own reasons.

The checking of this small Ottoman force (at Sardarapat) didn't stop the advance only it went another way. That is the the area of less resistance.

Your right, as I never looked closely at how the Ottoman Army got to Baku, but all maps show they advanced along the route north of Lake Seven.

I don't think the Ottoman pushed hard throw this area (Armenia) , why ?

Was it the Armenian defence or other reasons?

I don't know, but the peace conference may of had some reason for it? like Georgia decleared its state 27-5-18

But I am sorry, the Ottoman Army here is not well known, the 36th Cau Div less so

Col Haci Hamdi Bey (Pirselim) commanded the Division being replaced by Col Yusuf Ziya (Samli) Bey but I don't know at what date that was?

LtCol Zihni is not shown in any of my records

The 1st Light/Hunter Battalion (Avcı taburu)- I have no record of any such unit in the Ottoman Army

Avci (Hunter) is a word used in Ottoman records for its Airforce units and for the German Jager Bn

So your teaching me here with what you have, I was hoping some more qualified would answer

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Hello,

Enver thought that Russia would continue to be a "threat" for the Turkey in future and he sought to create a buffer state in Caucasus. For this reason, he advocated and eventually recognised an independent Transcaucasian State. Two options were there for the Ottomans about the future of Armenia: an independent but weak, restrainable if not submissive state or dividing the country between Azerbaijan Turks and Georgians. The first option prevailed. 

Ottomans wanted to get their hands on railroads especially for possible further operations into Iran against the British. Total annihilation of the Armenian military, whose atrocities had given an excuse to the Ottomans to advance further in Caucasus, was another goal of the campaign (note Armenian forces frequently called "bandits" [eşkıya or şaki] by high-ranking Ottoman officers like Kazim Karabekir Pasha). As you aware, Armenian forces were forced back from Eastern Turkey but had not been decisively defeated.

For more please see: http://www.thesis.bilkent.edu.tr/0003428.pdf

As for the battle itself, we don't have much available from Turkish sources as it was not as a big deal as Armenians perceived. See Turkish official history's account:

20201023_003356.jpg.fcd78f871926f7d2fc80273d4c8f1a44.jpg

"On 22 May 1918, while there had been a lull in the fighting on the entire front, Armenians continued to their counter attacks on the fronts of both 11th Division and Zihni Bey Detachment. Zihni Bey was forced to retire about 4 km north of Serdarabad in the face of a superior Armenian force. The detachment was reinforced by the 1st Avci (Jager) Battalion."

(Source: Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi: Kafkas Cephesi, 3'üncü Ordu Harekâtı vol.2, p.517)

20201023_003314.jpg.282a27bf2b13ecd563efe03d59105670.jpg

"An Armenian force of 2000 infantry and 200 cavalry supported by 3 machine guns 6 guns launced an attack on Zihni Bey Detachment about 6 km north of Serdarabad Station. This attack was repulsed, and Armenians stopped a rout by turning the artillery fire on their own fleeing men." 

(Source: Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi: Kafkas Cephesi, 3'üncü Ordu Harekâtı vol.2, p.518)

Kazim Karabekir's short account on the battle:

20201021_223259.jpg.392030ae505fea3f04c6efe6625c163c.jpg

"Today, Composite Cavalry Regiment and the 108th Infantry Regiment captured Serdarabad Station after a skirmish with an Armenian detachment consisted of 600 infantry and about 250 cavalry. Armenian losses numbered 150 killed. Our casualties were 2 slightly and 7 heavily wounded.  Our detachment spent 33 ammunition boxes and 50 artillery shells. (Receiving reinforcements, Armenians launced a counter attack at 10 pm. They were supported by 6 guns and forced our detachment to retire about 4 km north of Serdarabad Station)"

(Source: Karabekir, K. (2018). 1. Dünya Savaşı Anıları, p.839. YKY Publications)

Turkish OOB seems to be as follows:
- 108th Caucasus Infantry Regiment (from 36th Division) (CO: Major Mehmet Nuri)

- Composite Cavalry Regiment (CO: Maj. Zihni - Zihni Orhon)

- Later, 1st Avci (Jager) Bn.

Translations of Karabekir's diary entries (hope you don't mind that I only translated the parts relating Serdarabad):

22 May 1918, Wednesday
"Troops at rest. Avci (Jager) Battalion on the march from Ilica to Agin. (...) Yesterday, Composite Cavalry Regiment and the 108th Regiment captured Serdarabad Station after a skirmish with an Armenian detachment consisted of some 600 infantry and 250 cavalry [pretty much the same words as in the memoir]. The bandits suffered 150 killed. Our casualties were 2 slightly and 7 heavily wounded. Today the bandits are reputedly stronger. They even used 6 guns. [Our] detachment is reported to have retired 4 km north. (An airplane reputedly conducted a reconnaissance above them on 23rd)"

23 May 1918, Thursday
"(...) The Avci Battalion was to collect arms in the villages south of Gyumri. However, since the Armenians in Serdarabad seemed active and strong, I decided and ordered to reinforce the cavalry regiment there with the Avci [battalion], and assigned a regiment from the 9th Division to collect arms."

26 May 1918, Sunday

"Advancing and fighting. Both sides maintained their positions in Serdarabad. An Armenian attack repulsed. An enemy airplane circled over. 36th Division repulsed some two thousand bandits and captured one of their two available guns in the east of Alagez Mountain."

27 May 1918, Monday

"Report from Zihni Bey: 'The bandits attacked. I was forced to retire to Esinak heights as they surrounded my left flank. We were not able to repulse them until dusk. I will withdraw toward the eastern ridges of Alagez at night!' We were unhappy about this happened before those who at Karakilise were hit. But I got angry with the group rather than the Armenians. Second Army Corps was aimless and I came up against Karakilise. Now my left flank is empty. Communication is difficult."

On 23/10/2020 at 00:37, stevebecker said:

The 1st Light/Hunter Battalion (Avcı taburu)- I have no record of any such unit in the Ottoman Army

If I am not mistaken, Ottoman stormtrooper battalions named as "avci taburlari" peculiar to this campaign. I need to check. There's little about them. Originally, "Avci Taburlari" were the units organised for counter-insurgency operations against Bulgarian, Serbian and Greek bands in the Balkans in 1900s.

Regards,

Emre

Edited by emrezmen

Mate,

Yes pre war each Infantry Div had a Bn, last used in the Balkan War, but these were disbanded before the Great War?

I also thought they maybe a Storm Bn or Hucum taburu (Assault Battalion) but I have not seen the use of the word "Avci" for them?

These were raised on all fronts, but I have only those in Palestine and some in Mesopotania in my records?

So I look forward to what you can find here.

Thank you for the Names, I had no names for commanders in the 36th Cau Div.

As to the Comp Cav Regt, do you have any other details?

I show only these Kurdish Cavalry Regts around there (Karayazi Cav Regt or Lezki Cav Regt)

Karayazi Cav Regt    LtCol Nuh    possibly kurds Karayazi is a kurdish town at east turkey

Lezki Cav Regt    LtCol Hüsrev Mirza Kaçar    possibly kurds 

But again no further deatils and that was only fro one source, so I am unsure how good that is?

I agree if the Ottomans had wanted to advance throw Armienia they would have, but with the Georgians and the road open and the Azerbaijans flocking to the Turks, the road tto Baku was open, so to speak. 

The 6th Corps and the remains of the 2nd Cau Corps had open that road, and with the peace confrence the Ottomans had all the chips.

By the way I do show a Maj Zihni in this area

2nd Cav Regt   Mürettep 2nd Cav Regt - Maj Zihni (1918)   1st Cav Bde 1914   reported Sqns to 11th Div and 15th Corps HQ (1914)    Süvari Müfrezesi att  5th Caucasus Division - Islamic Army of Caucasus 1918   last reported with 5th Cauc Div Nov 1918

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

emrezmen

Thank you very much for the translation, it is extremely valuable. But I have one more question. I've found this map:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd1fqQDzYXDPNpi1KTn-3

It shows the situation on the armenian front (in erevan guberniya) in  may-june 1918. It is taken from turkish "official history" (Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi: Kafkas Cephesi, 3'üncü Ordu Harekâtı. II. Cilt, kroki 83?) , but is of poor quality (units and names are unrecognizable). Could you, if it is not a problem, put here the scan or photo of this map in higher resolution?

Regards

Christopher

On 24/10/2020 at 09:40, stevebecker said:

As to the Comp Cav Regt, do you have any other details?

Sorry, I couldn't find anything as to its organisation. (I might have overlooked) It is known that the regiment was also called "1st Comp. Cavalry Regiment".

On 27/10/2020 at 15:36, krycha101 said:

emrezmen

Thank you very much for the translation, it is extremely valuable. But I have one more question. I've found this map:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd1fqQDzYXDPNpi1KTn-3

It shows the situation on the armenian front (in erevan guberniya) in  may-june 1918. It is taken from turkish "official history" (Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi: Kafkas Cephesi, 3'üncü Ordu Harekâtı. II. Cilt, kroki 83?) , but is of poor quality (units and names are unrecognizable). Could you, if it is not a problem, put here the scan or photo of this map in higher resolution?

Regards

Christopher

Thank you. 

"Advance to the 1877 border. Operations up to 4 June 1918"

1.jpeg.e377e0d73b55638305eb628b5cba6141.jpeg

If there's a problem with the scanned image, please see: 

And also: https://www.msb.gov.tr/Content/Upload/Docs/askeritariharsiv/121-birinci_dunya_turk_harbi_kafkas_ucuncu_ordu (2).pdf

Edited by emrezmen

Mate,

You mite try a book by Capt Rüstü Efendi called "Büyük harpda Bakü yollarinda. 5-ci Kafkasya piyade firkasi."

It many deals with his actions as CofS 5th Cau Div on the road to Baku.

Of interest around that time even if he later had a hard death?

Although I did see a Col Rüstü Pasha with the 3rd Cau Div and Later the 9th Cau Div in 1918

The problem was islamic names back then so many of one name.

S.B

4 hours ago, stevebecker said:

You mite try a book by Capt Rüstü Efendi called "Büyük harpda Bakü yollarinda. 5-ci Kafkasya piyade firkasi."

I don't have that book yet, unfortunately. I'm looking for its 1st edition (1934) which is either hard to find or ridiculously overpriced.

Although I did see a Col Rüstü Pasha with the 3rd Cau Div and Later the 9th Cau Div in 1918

Some sources say it was Mustafa Rüstü Erdelhun (1894-1983) (see: https://www.tsk.tr/Sayfalar?viewName=RustuErdelhun), but it's just not true since he was too young (24 yrs old). Col. Rüstü you are looking for must be the same person with the CO of 28th Division in 1916.

The problem was islamic names back then so many of one name.

True. But the confusion is rather about absence of surnames. This is why nearly all the Ottoman people actually had two names. 

Edited by emrezmen

Em

Mate, most maps I 've seen of the fighting around Baku shows at lest two Cavalry Regts,

The Lezki Cav Regt to the right (my right) of map, possibly an Azerbaijan Regt part of the Azerbaijan Special Corps or it could be a Kurdish Regt like Karayazi Cav Regt?

The map shows to the left (my left) the 2nd Cavalry Regt under Maj Zihni,

I've seen sources that give this;

1st Cavalry Divison (Caucasian Cavalry Division) Col Arif (Erdemgil) (1918) 

all details shown with Northern Caucasus Army formed from Comp Cauc Cav Bde 1918 some show 4th Cav Regt while others show 2nd Cav Regt

4th Cav Regt - LtCol Halim Pertev Bey 1918

Composite Caucasus Cavalry Bde - East Armies Group reformed as 1st Cav Div 1918

Operations along the Caspian sea and Iran in Spring 1918 at the order of East Armies Group Command The Bde was forwarded to Iraq Front in Sept 1918 possibly as 1st Cauc Cav Div

So there are many ideas here that get strange in the last months of the war?

It was a fun time with limited details

Cheers

S.B

• 8 months later...

I have another  three questions to turkish experts...

1) In early November 1918 turkish 15th Division launched an attack against Port-Petrovsk held by cossack colonel Lazar Bicherakov. It was probably the last battle of Ottoman army in WW I. The key position of russo-armenian side were Tarki Hills (Tarki-tau). In turkish sources they are designated as "Hill 2362"  and "hill 1539". I suppose the number "2362" means the hight of the hill - but definitely NOT in meters. Are they measured in ottoman feet - kadem? Am I right?

2) What time is used in turkish "official history". Is this a "turkish (Stambul) time" - is it (or was it in WWI) ahead or behind the European time (e.g. London on Berlin)?

3) which in your opinion is one best turkish book on the Sarikamis campaign? What about Y. Ozdemir "Sarikamis Harekâti - Bir Savasin Bilinmeyen Öyküsü", - ?

Thanks for your attention...

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Mate,

Sorry not much on the 15th Div at this time

15th Divison (Yozgat)    

Col Mehmet Sükrü Bey 1914-15 (LtCol Hasan Basri Bey reported WIA 1915 on Gallipoli) - LtCol Mustafa Bey 9-15 to 1-16   LtCol Süleyman Izzet Bey (Yeginari) 1-16 to 1918 - shown Jan 1918 Allied reports Col Hassan Basri Bey - shown Sept 1918 Allied reports Col Eckhardt (G) to LtCol Sükrü Naili (Gökberk) 1919?    

CofS (known)

Capt Veccihi 1915 to Maj Veccihi Bey 1918    

1-3/38th Regt - 38th MG Co                                  

1-3/45th Regt - 45th MG Co                                    

1-3/56th Regt    

Known CO's

38th Regt - Maj Kazim Bey 1915 shown Jan 1918 Allied reports LtCol Kazim Bey  

45th Regt - LtCol Refik KIA 6-6-15 to LtCol Ismail Hakki 6-15 shown Jan 1918 Allied reports LtCol Ismail Bey shown Sept 1918 Allied reports LtCol Ali Riza 1918 12Co/3Bn Lt Mehmet Efendi KIA 22-11-14 Lt Esat Efendi KIA 20-10-16    

56th Regt - LtCol Mahmut Bey (Maj Rifat 9-15 to 1-16) to Maj M.Fehmi (Tinaztepe) 1916/17 shown Jan 1918 Allied reports LtCol Mustafa Bey 9Co - Capt Ibrahim Ethem Efendi KIA 

15th Artillery Regt shown Jan 1918 Allied reports Maj Kemal Bey     

1/15th FA Bty (4x 75mm QF)

2/15th FA Bty (4x 75mm QF)

4/15th FA Bty (4x 75mm QF)

5/15th FA Bty (4x 75mm QF)

(7MBty & 8MBty Mountain Btys each (6 x 75mm mountain Howitzers)   

shown 4xBtys 15th FAR on Sereth and Susita in Rumania 1917

shown Jan 1918 Allied reports 3xBns/15th FAR     

Support Units

6th Sqn 11th Cav Regt -

15th Field Hosp -

15th Eng Co -

15th Sig sect

shown Jan 1918 Allied reports

5th Sqn 3rd Cav Regt

5th Eng Co

15th Bearer Co

15th Field Hosp

15th Field Bakery Sect

1st Supply Bn - Maj Tewfik (1st, 3rd & 5th Light Columns + 1st & 5th Heavy Columns (carts) + 1st SAA Bn (1st & 5th SAA Columns (oxen carts)

shown Aug 1918 Allied reports (4000 men) at Baku Aug to Sept 1918 advance along the Caspian Sea and the Battle for Petrovsk (Oct 28-Nov 8 1918)

Div movement during the war

02.08.14 Istanbul (Makri Köy) 29.04.15 Ak Bas landing 03.05.15 Ali Beg farm 13.08.16 Istanbul (Makri Köy) 06.10.16 Varna 07.10.16 Mustafa Îsâ 09.10.16 Kara Ömer 19.10.16 Ali Beg farm 23.10.16 Timur Tabya 27.10.16 Pazar'lu 09.11.16 Derbend 15.11.16 Ace Kabul 15.12.16 Derbend 17.12.16 Ali Fakih 19.12.16 Orta Köy 21.12.16 Çukur Ova 24.12.16 Meydân 28.12.16 Hirsova 01.01.17 Osman'lu 06.01.17 Malakof __.02.18 Urum'lu __.05.18 Braila __.06.18 Constanta Port 27.06.18 Batum 03.09.18 Gence 08.09.18 Bingadi 15.09.18 Bakû 28.09.18 Kuba 03.10.18 Molla Kent 06.10.18 Derbend Sûra 21.10.18 Kaya Kent 23.10.18 Kavtar Kotan 26.10.18 At Boyn'u 06.11.18 Mahaç Kal’a 05.12.18 Batum 28.12.18 Samsun 02.02.19 || (de-comissioned

I see what I can find

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Mate,

I take it you found what I did on this action?

"The showdown for Petrovsk finally occurred at Tarki Mountain,  which guarded the approach to Petrovsk, on 5 November 1918, as described by Col. Tevfik:

At 1330 hours, Nuri Bey’s regiment began to retreat under the effect of the enemy counterattacks with additional forces and scattered into the valley.  Four officers from the 107th Regiment 1st Battalion were wounded and just 40 soldiers remained healthy.  Subsequently, the enemy counterattack was turned toward the 56th Regiment 1st Battalion, which had seized the Tarki Mountain pass.

The heroic battalion, after spending its last bullets and bombs and after the deaths of two company commanders and valued soldiers, retreated in an anxious mood toward Ağaç Ağil.  This retreat allowed the enemy to occupy the pass location and the line between there and Hill 1579.  The enemy then rained fire down on our retreating troops, resulting is severe losses.  With the retreat of Nuri Bey’s regiment on the right and 56the Regiment 2nd Battalion on the left, the 56th Regiment 1st Battalion was left surrounded by the enemy but despite this horriblesituation, did not abandon its position.

We mounted a counterattack to rescue the 56the Regiment  1st Battalion and take back the crest line.  At a quarter past 2, the 38the Regiment  2nd Battalion’s machine gun company attacked toward the pass. The 38the Regiment  3rd Battalion had already been sent toward Tarki so the Division was left with only 38th Regiment 1st Battalion in reserve.

With a counterattack by the 38th Regiment toward sunset the pass was retaken.  The 38th Regiment on the right, and the 56th Regiment on the left,  spent the night of 5/6 November at the crest line.  Hill 1579, on the38th Regiment ’s right flank, was occupied by the enemy.  By working the entire night, the regiment was assembled and sent for a counterattack on Hill 1579.  Prior to dawn, this too was retaken and the situation rectified. 

The terrain on which this fighting took place had no roads for vehicles or even animals, for that matter.  So food and ammunition resupply and removal of the wounded could only be accomplished under the harshest conditions that defy description.

So I checked, but could not find the officer named Nuri Bey with the 15th Div? maybe one for Emrez to look at?

What is interesting is the mention of the 107th Regt here?

The 107th was in the 36th Div

I did see that the 108th Regt was commanded by a LtCol Mehmet Nuri in 1918 which maybe a coincerdence only?

Cheers

S.B