Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr. Mclaren's Medical Unit, Serbia 1914

NorthStaffsPOW

Hi there. I am trying to research Horace Herbert Oliver of the British Red Cross who served (according to his BRCS card and BWM/ VM medal roll) served in Serbia from October 1914 until April 1915 before moving to France. In researching the units that he could have been involved with it seems likely that he may have served with Dr. Mclaren's Medical Unit who followed shortly behind Lady Pagets Medical Unit at Skopje. 

I am reading an article that lists the medical personnel in Lady Pagets unit but is light on detailing who served with Mclaren's unit. Does anyone have access to this information? The article only says that it was made up of 6 doctors with two orderlies each. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks and all the best. 

Hi

he is listed in File Foreign Office 372/1162: Treaty; Serbia  1918 as being awarded a Serb cross of Mercy see below.

These were not gazetted as BRC & St John had an agreement with the War Office that they could accept foreign awards without being gazetted.

Peter

Cross of Mercy or Samaritan Cross, Obv.jpg

Cross of Mercy or Samaritan Cross, Rev.jpg

Thank you very much Peter. I did actually have a look at the Gazette on the off chance there was an award but did not know of the BRCS arrangement with the War Office. Do you happen to know how many of the Order of Mercy were awarded to British forces? All the best. 

It is also known as the Samaritan Cross

I know there are approx. 100 gazetted but I am still adding the non gazetted to my database as the info becomes available, so could not give an accurate number. I have over 200 listed so far.

All foreign awards are scarce when compared to normal awards.

The Serbs were very good at recognising exceptional service.

Many thanks Peter. The search for information on Mr. Oliver conti ues but you have certainly added an interesting dimension to it.