Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Samuel Forrester

Tobias

Hi all, I’m really struggling with researching a man that my father bought the medals to. His name was Samuel Forrester R/3348 Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve. All I know is that he was military in 1918 and that is literally it-nothing else. If anyone can help me to research him I would really appreciate it.

Tobias

FMP has the standard Royal Naval Division card record for him. Enlisted 11/7/17. Went to the BEF on 6/8/17 with the Hawke Battalion. He had been in the TF as 135178 in the 3/1st Montgomery Yeomanry, private 14/2/16 to 10/7/17 - all this was in the UK. Looks as though he was wounded late Feb 1918 and invalided back to UK early March. Records are hard to follow but think he stayed in UK until discharge on 8/2/19.

wound is given as “Lac Wd Knee Sev.” 
His declared date of birth was 12/2/1891 and address on enlistment as Silverdale, Staffs.

His army record is on ancestry.

He appears at same Silverdale address in 1911 census. 
The 1939 list has a man with same name and date of birth  - a butcher in Newcastle-under-Lyme.

There are several possible local deaths for him in the 1960s but could easily be wrong about that.

Edited by Mark1959

1 hour ago, Mark1959 said:

FMP has the standard Royal Naval Division card record for him. Enlisted 11/7/17. Went to the BEF on 6/8/17 with the Hawke Battalion. He had been in the TF as 135178 in the 3/1st Montgomery Yeomanry, private 14/2/16 to 10/7/17 - all this was in the UK. Looks as though he was wounded late Feb 1918 and invalided back to UK early March. Records are hard to follow but think he stayed in UK until discharge on 8/2/19.

wound is given as “Lac Wd Knee Sev.” 
His declared date of birth was 12/2/1891 and address on enlistment as Silverdale, Staffs.

His army record is on ancestry.

He appears at same Silverdale address in 1911 census. 
The 1939 list has a man with same name and date of birth  - a butcher in Newcastle-under-Lyme.

There are several possible local deaths for him in the 1960s but could easily be wrong about that.

Thanks!