Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trotman’s Post

alantwo

1 hour ago, alantwo said:

I have Trotman Road but not Post.

I regret that I haven't turned up anything so far, Alan

One point which does occur to me is that just as Backhouse Post was not on Backhouse Road

so it may also be that there is no connection between Trotman Road and Trotman Post

Can you put the ref into some context with a date?

Best regards

Michael

Michael

Thanks for taking the time to look and reply.

Trotman's Post must have been an observation station and may not have been near Trotman Road. On the 25th August, HQ/56 and C/56 were at approximately 17 T1 and D/56 at about 17 H1, 1:20,000 Gallipoli Map, Kirthia. On 2nd September the Brigade began laying wire to Trotman's Post and later that day the Brigade CO and BCs observed battery fire from there. It's the only time it is mentioned in the War Diary and I've been unable to locate it so far on any trench map.

If one and the same, was there a General Trotman in the RND? Could it have been a RND observation post of his name which was temporarily used by the artillery?

Kind regards

Alan

If one and the same, was there a General Trotman in the RND?

Yes - Brigadier-General Charles N Trotman RMLI, he was "away ill for the whole of September" per the RND historian, Jerrold

(that's not precise and probably needs checking) Lt-Col Stroud RMLI took over the 2nd Brigade in the temporary absence of Trotman

Edited by michaeldr

From GOC 3rd (RM) Bde, Charles Trotman became GOC 2nd (RN) Bde in mid-August 1915. He went sick for a few days from about 20 September but was sick again on 13 November and Lt Col Stroud (ex-OC 1/RMLI) took over the 2nd Bde for two months until 26 January 1916.

Is it not more likely that, as with Backhouse Post, Trotman Post was a forward Bde HQ, rather than an "observation post"?

I cannot locate a Trotman Post but Gen Trotman had a much-used forward HQ at the junction of Trotman Road and Regent Street. How does this tie in with the map references given above?

1 hour ago, horatio2 said:

I cannot locate a Trotman Post but Gen Trotman had a much-used forward HQ at the junction of Trotman Road and Regent Street.

Alas, I cannot find a crop with map squares right now

but this may help to locate the site

46141709_MapHellesjunctTrotmanRegentSt.jpg.99a3ed11ffc20fc90885a5e24594fe44.jpg

Michael and Horatio 2

Thanks again for your help. I'm happy to accept that Trotman Post might be a forward Brigade HQ rather than an observation station. The junction of Trotman Road and Regent Street would be approximately 18 H7 on the 1:20,000 Gallipoli map, Krithia.

Michael - In your post above it shows a Brigade HQ on Plymouth Avenue near St Vincent Street, is that for RND or for another unit? 

Alan

51734946_TrotmanPost1.jpg.616b768cd22542ddab66fbb06cee2165.jpg

1977549718_TrotmanPost2.jpg.abd4c31df7f68f997951bc084926f5a4.jpg

Edited by alantwo

Michael - In your post above it shows a Brigade HQ on Plymouth Avenue near St Vincent Street

Alan, I think that what is marked is 'BN'

which I interpret meaning Battalion HQ