Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Turkish army

RHLV

The university system for which I work is doing a project to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the First World War (long lead time). I need some help. Anyone know where (or if) I can find a comprehensive list of Ottoman corps and division commanders?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich

The Imperial War Museum reprinted the War Office handbook on the Turkish Army with Orders of Battle for 1916. This might be out of print again but you may be able to pick up a copy second hand as I did. This certainly has corps and divisional commanders for most areas.

Although I haven't seen it Edward J. Erickson's book 'Ordered To Die, A History of the Ottoman Army in the First World War' I think has Orders of Battle in it for different areas and periods. Someone on the forum may be able to confirm this for you.

Cheers

Dominic.

Thanks to both of you. Have Erickson's book which is better for army level but does have some corps info. BTW it's worth having if you're interested in the Ottoman forces. Haven't seen the War Office Handbook. Will look.

Rich

Rich

Had a quick look at the Naval & Military Press website and they still have copies. Try this link:

Naval & Military

Type "Handbook" in the quick search section and you should find the book.

It is also a beautifully produced book!

Cheers

Dominic

Rich

While the information does exist, there isn't a 'comprehensive source' that offers the commanders as 'one stop shopping'. Each of the Turkish official histories of the war (Birinci Dünya Harbinde Türk Harbi) has a list of the commanders of the units. There are 17 volumes in the series. It would take some time to assemble a list of all the commanders from this source. Your best bet is to contact the Turkish Genelkurmay in Ankara. Robin Higham's Official Military Historical Offices and Sources gives the following address:

Atatürk Kültür Dil ve Tarih Yüsek Kurum Başkanligi

Ankara

Hope this helps.

Jeff

The Imperial War Museum reprinted the War Office handbook on the Turkish Army with Orders of Battle for 1916.

I think you have to be quite careful when using this source. There may be some inaccuracies due to the difficulties that British Intelligence had in getting and intrepreting information about Turkish formations.

Robert

Rich,

QUOTE (domsim @ Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:55:58 +0000)

The Imperial War Museum reprinted the War Office handbook on the Turkish Army with Orders of Battle for 1916. 

I think you have to be quite careful when using this source. There may be some inaccuracies due to the difficulties that British Intelligence had in getting and intrepreting information about Turkish formations.

You also have to be patient. It took 6 months for my copy to arrive from NMP. Mind you, it is well worth having and is full of period flavour.

It seems like you have beeen handed a very difficult task, but I'll check back in ten years to see how you got on!

Nick

If you speak French you could try:

"La guerre turque dans la guerre mondiale," by Larcher, 682pp. Quite a decent source. I haven't seen Erickson's book, so I can't compare.

Paul

I'm sure there are a number of people on the forum who could help with look ups from the Turkish Army Handbook if you struggle to find one. It is a handsome volume.

Martin

Rich,

I have a German friend who is in about the same situation as you. Iv'e helped him out as much as I could, and pointed him in the direction of other folks.

There just isn't a lot of information out there covering the Ottoman war effort, especially in English.

Here is a list of sources from another forum I belong to:

1. Importing European Army

David B. Ralston (one article dealed about modernization of Turkish army)

2.War, Technology and Society in the Middle East

(ed.) V.J. Parry, M.E.Yapp (several articles are very useful)

3.Arming the State: Military Conscription in the Middle East and Central Asia

(ed.) erik J. Zürcher

4. Ill-fated Sons of the Nation: Ottoman Prisoners of War in Russia and Egypt

Yucel Yanikdag (Unpublished Ph.D. Dissertation)

5.The Ottoman-Russian Struggle for Eastern Anatolia and the Caucasus 1908-1918

Michael A. Reynolds (Unpublished Ph.D. Dissertation)

6. Five Years in Turkey

Liman von Sanders (putting much emphasis on his role and German advisers but still useful)

7. Turkish Army 1916

(Battery reprint of official British intelligence book)

Erickson's book is listed by this gentleman as the most definitive work on the subject. I've not seen his book.

Larcher's book in French has a lot of information, and I'm surprised it was never translated, considering it came out 70 odd years before Erickson's book.

Larcher's book has an index (about 30 pages) and if you could find a copy you might be able to put together a pretty good list of corps commanders, as he lists the positions each person mentioned held.

Paul

Thanks again for all the info.

To Martin--be careful I might take you up on the offer to do the work for me :D

To Paul--my brother just sent me a list very much like the one on your last post. He said he got it from a Paul on an Austrian army website. I assume that's you. Thanks and sorry to see you're in league with my older brother. :P

Rich

Rich,

Indeed! It is from the A-H land forces forum, but I cannot take credit for it. I think that's from a Turkish gentleman.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...